Engine maintenance experience needed

cps13

Visit site
Hi,

I am trying to get into a Marine Engineering/Maintainence career but I am struggling a bit.

I am 23 so I get overlooked for apprenticeships as my training would not be fully subsidised by the government. I am building a kit car at present, have recently rebuilt a seagul outboard and have a good general knowledge of mechanics/electrics. I have my RYA day skipper and have completed about 250nm sailing/motoring.

I have been working in the motor trade but recently been made redundant so I am taking the oppotunity to try and change my career.

At the moment I have a lot of time on my hands until I find a new job and would be willing to help out **UNPAID** if somebody had an oppotunity where I could learn some hands on skills and have something to put on my CV.

I am going to complete the RYA Diesel Engine maintenance course and Boat Electrics course ASAP.

Thanks.

cps13

Visit site
have you thought about the merchant navy ?

I have looked into it and applied through some of the sponsoring companies but got no joy.

Most of them for engineering officers require more uvas points thy I have or stand alone sciences ive found.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Oh and I'm based in Southampton.

Thanks

alant

Visit site
Hi,

I am trying to get into a Marine Engineering/Maintainence career but I am struggling a bit.

I am 23 so I get overlooked for apprenticeships as my training would not be fully subsidised by the government. I am building a kit car at present, have recently rebuilt a seagul outboard and have a good general knowledge of mechanics/electrics. I have my RYA day skipper and have completed about 250nm sailing/motoring.

I have been working in the motor trade but recently been made redundant so I am taking the oppotunity to try and change my career.

At the moment I have a lot of time on my hands until I find a new job and would be willing to help out **UNPAID** if somebody had an oppotunity where I could learn some hands on skills and have something to put on my CV.

I am going to complete the RYA Diesel Engine maintenance course and Boat Electrics course ASAP.

Thanks.

Look at the UKSA website, they have details of which tickets are required for 'engineers' in yachts.

Its a very well paid job, with lots more opportunities than deck candidates.