Engine Compartment sound insulation

TheCoach

Visit site
Any suggestions on adhesive? The sound proofing in our Benetteau has come off the underside of the cabin sole and needs re-fixing.

Cheers,

tC

Turnnidge

Visit site
Recently did Carina’s with the lead lined, foil covered stuff from ASAP, fixed with sparky contact adhesive and edged with Ali tape. Made 6 dB reduction in the cabin. The only down side is that the companion steps now weigh a fair bit more than they did!

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Any suggestions on adhesive? The sound proofing in our Benetteau has come off the underside of the cabin sole and needs re-fixing.

Cheers,

tC
I've used Evostick Timebond when fitting sound panels to two boats now. It's been very successful as it allows a bit of movement if you're getting the sheets into difficult/awkard positions and don't want the adhesive to 'grab' straight away.

yerffoeg

Visit site
As John Morris has said, getting a flexible prop shaft coupling is worth thinking about. it brought about a big reduction in engine noise levels in our boat.

TheCoach

Visit site
I've used Evostick Timebond when fitting sound panels to two boats now. It's been very successful as it allows a bit of movement if you're getting the sheets into difficult/awkard positions and don't want the adhesive to 'grab' straight away.
Thanks John - my panels ar like a thick composite foam, bit like the inside of a hard seat foam. Do you think the Evostick would be "grabby" enough to hold onto that?

Might go and YouTube it as well :)

Cheers,

TC

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Thanks John - my panels ar like a thick composite foam, bit like the inside of a hard seat foam. Do you think the Evostick would be "grabby" enough to hold onto that?

Might go and YouTube it as well :)

Cheers,

TC
My panels were thick (and heavy) composite foam and they stuck OK. I did our Sigma 33 and our current Westerly Sealord in the same way.