Engine breather oil leak

PRH

Visit site
TRH,

Been down the boat and found the bit you were eluding to, its even got the spring and stuff inside!

Now what exactly is a penny washer and where does one stick it? No rude replies required.

Thanks.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Viscount

Visit site
The relief valve is a cylinder next the crankcase vent filter. Remove the 10mm nut on the top and then the cylinder and spring etc. inside. The washer which should have an M10 hole fits beneath the spring such that the spring tension is increased.

I should add that I was advised against doing this (and didn't) by the Volvo engineer currently working on the problem. Going by the volume of oil I'm getting, I doubt a slight increase in spring tension would have an effect. I imagine if you're getting just a few drips, it would work quite well.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Viscount

Visit site
Talon,

How much oil were you getting before you fitted the mod. Say the amount for about 30 minutes running at higher than 3,500 RPM? I reckon I got more than a pint in that time.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talon

Visit site
On each breather you can see the yellow, corrigated filter inside the metal tin, the engine that was fine was yellow. Where as the engine which was blowing back was full of oil and the yellow filter was black. When I tried to unscrew the filter it was a nightmare to get off as that was covered as well. Oil had blown out everywhere, through the filter and relief valve.

As above, lower the oil level, confine the revs a little, fit the mod and block off the relief valve. We have not seen the problem again..... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldgit

Visit site
Would not panic depends now bothered you are ?
One of my 40B engines manages to eject a thimble full or so of oil especially after any prolonged trip at high RPM.. , it was rebuilt 500 hours ago,oil pools in one of the castings in the engine block and is easily mopped up with paper towel
The other engine with twice as many hours is as clean as a whistle.
The crankcase canister filters for older engines are available on Ebay £25.00 (think mine were American imports) for less than VP branded parts.

Last edited:

Ron the boater

Visit site
Would not panic depends now bothered you are ?
One of my 40B engines manages to eject a thimble full or so of oil especially after any prolonged trip at high RPM.. , it was rebuilt 500 hours ago,oil pools in one of the castings in the engine block and is easily mopped up with paper towel
The other engine with twice as many hours is as clean as a whistle.
The crankcase canister filters for older engines are available on Ebay £25.00 (think mine were American imports) for less than VP branded parts.
Thanks for the response. It’s more the mess the oil is making !
I have put a washer in but yet to try the engine again
Have been looking at a racor ccv sealed system
I’m aware it could be a worn engine but don’t yet feel keen enough to take that project on

oldgit

Visit site
Thanks for the response. It’s more the mess the oil is making !
I have put a washer in but yet to try the engine again
Have been looking at a racor ccv sealed system
I’m aware it could be a worn engine but don’t yet feel keen enough to take that project on

Temp bodge, pop a couple of those oil absorbtion pads directly under the engine .
Oil usually oozes down over the bell housing, fills up a couple of those little cavities in the casting before dripping down and making an unsightly mess on the bottom of the boat.
My bilges are painted white, oil drips stand out like sore thumb. . :(.
A "worn" engine would be something with 5000 + hours on the clocks ?

10 x Premium Oil Spill Absorbent Pads,Fuel Oil Spill Soak Mats,Spill Protection | eBay