Engine Alignment

Canboria

Visit site
I have read a number of threads that mention aligning the engine with the propshaft and that periodically it should be checked, I have searched the forum but cant seem to find out how, can someone explain to a novice how it is done.

What's the significance of the Mouse drinking the Martini in the Forums new burgee, it appears obvious to all, but I must have missed the point.

byron

RIP
Visit site
The Mouse signifies a Computer Mouse, the Martini.... well! what else do Computer Mice do when you aren't watching them? Its a known fact that they drink Martinis.

ô¿ô

AndrewB

Visit site
You have to align the coupling on the top end of the shaft precisely to the one on the back of the gearbox. Explaining how is impossible without diagrams, so take a look at any standard book on yacht maintenance, for example Nigel Calder's excellent "Boatowner's Mechanical & Electrical Manual". It ought to be done every 2-3 years or so on a well-used boat, specially if your cutlass bearing shows signs of premature wear. Alternatively install a flexible coupling.

G

aligning an engine is a pain in the a***e, so dont go curing a problem if you dont have one!

one good tip I was once given is to check whether alignment is good by taking boat up to max speed, then take out of gear and turn off engine. watch to see if the rotating prop causes the engine to miove significantly on its mounts. if it does, it is out of alignment.

the gradual softening of the engine mounts will cause a gradual vertical misalignment, but not a lateral one.