Energy Costs In Brighton

V1701

Visit site
If I was going to buy a genny it would be Honda EU20i, a 4kw one is way over the top for occasional emergency use anyway but I repeat you really are better off spending the money on other more necessary/more useful gear. Trust me you will hardy, if ever, need to but you can run your engine in gear for a bit if you need to top up batteries...

Robin

Visit site
We have a 4kw genny but have not used it in 3 years of living on board. We have Eberspaecher D6 but a simple 1-2kw fan heater serves well after an hour or so of early morning Eberspaecher to get up to temp first on coldest days. We used around 150lts of diesel in last 12 months for non propulsion use. weekly laundry costs vary up to£10, it is the dryers that eat money most. Our Wifi is mostly good but has it's off days when a hotspot on my phone takes over. I'm seriously considering a MIFI gizmo for away days and backup. Current leccy bills run around £45/month, winter ones nearer £100 but we have a 1500w immersion heater a300w dehumidifier running 24/7, an 1800w halogen oven, George Foreman grill electric steamer, toast and kettle and only use 2 4.5kg calor cylinders per year for the regular stove. We do have an electric blanket that can get use on lowest setting even on summer nights., though not right now... We have weekly supermarket deliveries direct to boat as we have no transport and taxis get costly(up to £20 return to town. Bus passes are fine but nearest stop is a 30 minute walk, and can get to town in 45 by footpath.

Tinto

Visit site
If I was going to buy a genny it would be Honda EU20i, a 4kw one is way over the top for occasional emergency use anyway but I repeat you really are better off spending the money on other more necessary/more useful gear. Trust me you will hardy, if ever, need to but you can run your engine in gear for a bit if you need to top up batteries...
I am thinking dual fuel, petrol and LPG. Gas is a lot cheaper, runs quieter, safer storage.

Tinto

Visit site
We have a 4kw genny but have not used it in 3 years of living on board. We have Eberspaecher D6 but a simple 1-2kw fan heater serves well after an hour or so of early morning Eberspaecher to get up to temp first on coldest days. We used around 150lts of diesel in last 12 months for non propulsion use. weekly laundry costs vary up to£10, it is the dryers that eat money most. Our Wifi is mostly good but has it's off days when a hotspot on my phone takes over. I'm seriously considering a MIFI gizmo for away days and backup. Current leccy bills run around £45/month, winter ones nearer £100 but we have a 1500w immersion heater a300w dehumidifier running 24/7, an 1800w halogen oven, George Foreman grill electric steamer, toast and kettle and only use 2 4.5kg calor cylinders per year for the regular stove. We do have an electric blanket that can get use on lowest setting even on summer nights., though not right now... We have weekly supermarket deliveries direct to boat as we have no transport and taxis get costly(up to £20 return to town. Bus passes are fine but nearest stop is a 30 minute walk, and can get to town in 45 by footpath.
thanks for the info Robin.

Which marina are you in?

I recently dumped my landline at home as I was getting 60+Mb/s on my mobile, which was quicker than the landline. Moved the contract to an unlimited data one with EE. You can also buy Wifi Routers which accept a sim card, as an alternative to a MIFI unit. This lets you hardwire also if you want to build a LAN in the boat. Could be useful for updating all sorts of firmware or streaming to a TV

MarkCX

Visit site
With EE, if you get the cheapest contract SIM for your MiFi/router on the same account as your main SIM you can “gift” data to it from your main SIM - as much as you’ve got or up to 100GB on their unlimited tariff.

It’s worth ordering the second SIM over the phone from EE as you can usually get a discount as well. I’ve also done this with 4 contracts for family members too. About £60 a month for 5 people and a boat with unlimited calls and texts, plus as much data as we all need.

ryanroberts

Visit site
Vodafone is legit. 100% unlimited with tethering or from a dongle / router, but not quite as good a network as EE. Can still pull 30-40Mbps. Don't even think about using 3.

Last edited:

jordanbasset

Visit site
Just got a new deal with Vodafone, 100 GB, with unlimited minutes and test (I don't use the minutes and texts as I use it in a mifi)
No problems with connectivity in the UK, Spain or Greece (obviously use the local networks in Greece and Spain)