Emotional rollercoaster ride on the Eastern Front

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Long considered, long planned, finally here... time to strip away the old teak deck.

Trip to Antwerp - very relieved to find Guapa ashore and tucked away inside.
Better part of the first day was spent removing all the headlining down below. This would give me access to all the screws, nuts and bolts so I could remove winches, genoa track, cleats, toerail, windlass...
By the end of day two winches, windlass and cleats have been removed. Genoa track and toerails still to do (toerails are a ginormeous job - dreading it).

I had always been told that I had a GRP deck with a balsa core.
Last night I started scraping away some of the teak in areas where I knew it was bad. Bad as in 'I think the deck's lifting there a bit' Shock - horror /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Removed some teak - what did I find? Compost is the closest possible term. Keep digging - finally solid GRP. WTF? Where's the top GRP layer gone? I assumed the compost was the balsa core.
Quick call to my 'shipyard guru' - 'I want to see this for myself, this is not possible'.
Didn't sleep much last night.

Called the yard that built Guapa first thing in the AM. Different story: only cockpit and coach roof are balsa core. Separate mould from the deck. Deck itself is solid GRP, then a layer of multiplex and then the teak glued on top of the multiplex. A sense of relieve.
Chiselled away most of the morning to clear as much of the deck in different places in time for the shipyard guru arrival around lunchtime.
Surprised to find most of the teak in condition going from 'not bad' to 'pristine'. The multiplex's condition OTOH - 'compost' to 'not bad'. In places it will need to be replaced. Just how much needs doing won't become clear till all the teak has been removed. Then - to be on the safe side - all the multiplex should be laminated and the the cork fitted on top of it.
Only day 2, and already we're looking at a couple of K over budget. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Amidst claims of 'we've seen worse', 'it's not that bad', and 'it's going to be all right' I'm left with mixed feelings. Structural integrity has not been compromised (she's still my yottie icebreaker), but the bills...

Decision made - I'm going to get a job on the side as a prostitute.
Ladies - this is your chance - a real man's yours for the night and for a price. Your chance to feel things you've never felt before. But not any time soon, as I expect to be too shagged out to shag for the next 10 days or so.

Anyway, below a couple of pics of the carnage on deck.
The 'dark' bits are the rotten bits.

DSC01297.jpg

DSC01298.jpg

The really bad bit - starboard shrouds

DSC01299.jpg

The shipwreck down below

DSC01301.jpg

DSC01305.jpg

At least there's the nightly phone call to the home front. Need some encouragement from time to time.
Mentioned to the other half that when we've done everything that's on our to-do list (deck, hull, coppercoat, standing rigging, new furling gear, new sails and new engine) we're looking at 130K. You could buy new for that kind of money.
Then she hit all the right notes: You'd end up with a boat you won't really like, and new does not always mean you won't have problems. Look at Jim and Lynn. (Thanks Jim) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So my message to anyone considering buying boat with teak decks - don't!
Teak decks are like 36DD tits - nice to look at, on someone else.

FullCircle

Visit site
Oh my Giddy Aunt.
If it wasn't for bad luck, you would have no luck at all (tm Mr Dew Senior resting in peace).
I am so so sorry for you Will, no one deserves this amount of damage. I can imagine where no amount of Duvel will cheer you up just now, but....

Well, when its done, its done for at least 20 years. You must persevere, because there is no option, and you know you have the boat you want at the end. I have persevered, and after 4 seasons I now have a boat that I like, want and love, and it does not give me permagrief now, just the normal silly things going wrong (wot like the mainsheet traveller exploding> :-(( ).

Like you, I have a very supportive wife and budget manager, and it was Lynn that talked me out of flogging FC at the beginning of this year.

So, look at the bright side - you havent got as much balsa core as you thought, and its not in areas too structural. It will be a good thing to replace the multiplex as much as possible while its up, and ensure that you have the most modern equivalent.

Just to help you out with your new fund, I will rent you for a night. Whats the going rate? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif ahem. I would go heavy on the marketing that you are a genuine member of the upper house in the Grey Funnel Line - that should up the ante a tad.

Keep your chin up, wishing you much much better luck in the coming week or three.

Looking forward to the Lounge Deck (1st Class) Opening Party on Guapa.

MoodySabre

Visit site
Blimey O'Riley Will - I take my hat off to you for even thinking about such a monumental task. Just to see the inside and outside like that would make me run a mile. She will be fabulous when it's all done.

As they say on Mastermind ' I've started so I'll finish' - not much alternative now. Hope it goes well fom here on.

CPD

Visit site
Good God. Whats that saying about there is always someone worse off ?. That'll be you against probably everyone else here added together ten times over at the moment, but as everyone else has said, it WILL be worth it in the end. Keep your head down, keep at it and it'll come good. There's a song about things only getting better too. Hum it, especially after you take up Jim's offer /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

Cheers Will, we've never met, but I hope, and somehow know that it'll come good.

Tidewaiter2

Turning Left this season?-Nach Friesians?
Visit site
FC is Absoloutely right, stick to it and Gupua will look a Mill $ when finished.
With such a celebrity endorsement(sailing today, Dec 2008 issue, page16 . how can you not suceed?? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Keep yer ansaphone off tho'- these celebs can go 120% sub chav /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Best Wishes for a successful refit- one day at a time, take the piccies and sell it to PBO.

wingdiver

WWW.MYSPACE.COM
Hi Will
Hope everything goes according to plan/budget from here.
As others have said, it will be worth it in the end.
I can now barely remember the pain of being stuck in the Adriatic with an overheating gearbox in the early stages of a trip to the South of France now that two years have passed!
Or that day we were about to do sea trials of the boat with her (expensive) new masts/sails/rigging and the engine wouldn't start cos it had filled with water.
And the broken bowsprit .....
Oh, you know the score - the joys of boating.
All the best and keep us posted on progress.
D

tillergirl

Visit site
If I may offer some words of encouragement. I did the same on TG but being all timber, the problem did not stop at the deck and I found myself replacing beamshelf, half beams, the top plank of the topsides and the gunwales. I wondered when the drain on the family lack of fortune would end.

But the result was worth the heart ache. Without the work, TG would have died - slowly but surely - and she is a better boat for the new deck and watertight, at least from the top. Once you have stopped the destruction bit you will find the renewal side great fun and immensely rewarding.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
[ QUOTE ]

With such a celebrity endorsement(sailing today, Dec 2008 issue, page16 . how can you not suceed?? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a trick to get me to buy a magazine? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Early day due to powercut - wrong kind of rain?

Progress painfully slow - lots of rusted, bent or otherwise [--word removed--] up bolts.
Hence lots of cutting, drilling, blisters and cursing.
Result at the end of the day - removed port front toerail.
At this rate I won't even get to stripping the deck by Friday.

Shipwright will have to finish the job - a weeks work, or another £600