Electricity with out Shore Power

EdEssery

Visit site
I am in the process of purchasing an MG C27 which is not kitted out for shore power. However I do want to keep it in commission and dry through the winter.

I propose to run a shore power lead through a hatch or the companionway and then simply plug a dehumidifier and/or greenhouse heater directly into the shorepower lead. I have seen adapters to convert the boat end of a shore power lead into a 13 Amp twin socket in Aladdin's Cave. I would use an ELCB in the 13 amp socket.

Is this safe? Does anybody else do their shore power this way?

Thanks,

jfkal

Visit site
Not the recommended way but would work. Go for the dehumidifier, run the discharge into the bilge and have an automatic bilge pump installed. Add a small intelligent charger to keep the batteries full.
Do not run the discharge into the sink otherwise you have to have an open seacock all winter and do not use any heating devices unattended without having an automatic fire extinguishing system including automatic (fire triggered) circuit breaker on board :((

G

I do exactly this even though my boat has shore power fitted. During the season I do not like leaving the boat with the shore power connected since I have been told that you are effectively sharing an earth with the whole marina and this puts extra wear on the anodes and prop etc. I therefore connect the shore power only at times when I am on board. During the winter months (whilst not on board) I keep a dehumidifier running all the time so I pass an extension cable, which at one end is connected to the shore power cable, through the wash board slats and the other end connected to the dehumidifier and green house heater. I don't have a circuit breaker fitted since I rely on the marina electrics but on reflection I think that that is a good idea and I might add one, especially if I were to be on the boat with it connected in this way.

lezgar

Visit site
circuit breaker

A circuit breaker break the circuit from where the breaker is. If you have the circuit braker inside the boat, you still will have live electric current in the wire from the plug in the marina to the circuit breaker.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Re: Earthing

If you run in a power cable from shore (ie an extension cable), providing the extension cable earth or the equipment casing (if its metal) you plug into the extension is not connected to your boats ground system, you will not have a ‘ground loop’, so you will not be sharing an earth with the whole marina.

I agree its not the safest way of doing things, but its no different to using an extension cable to plug your lawn mower into when mowing the lawn.

G

At last a bit of sense !!!!!

I read and see so many ways that you are supposed to do it, and I have to admit that even being in the 'business' ..... I have :

a) Caravan supplies exterior socket leading to twin and earth cable around the boat.
b) Cable leads to standard domestic sockets inside.

When I connect to them, I use wherever possible a plug-in RCD safety unit, then plug in the item to that.

WHY ? I don't want the earth ring syndrome - as I call it ! Nor do I want to create a charge in the water around me !!!!!

So I know some out there are going to scream at my way, but it has survived years of abuse, use and will I am sure do for many more to come.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk

What is it that is not safe about doing this? In a phrase 'Not a lot'.

But as with anything electrical, be aware of what can go wrong. Electricary and water arn't good bedfellows.
Cable - inspect regularly for chafes especially where it crosses to the boat. When I have run an extension to the boat I hitch it to a mooring line, leaving a bit of slack in it, so it doesn’t become the mooring line!
Plug - Use waterproof connectors. Rain can cause short circuits, and track up the inside of the cable.
Circuit Breaker - you should use a plug-in RCD safety unit at the shore end, and again it should be waterproof! This acts differently to a fuse, it detects 'current leakage' and trips out the circuit, it works very much faster than a fuse.
Equipment - Whatever you plug into the extension lead be aware that if the case is metal it will be at earth potential. If it's a dehumidifier and water gets to slosh about in and around it, or something goes wrong with it the case could become live, so again use a plug-in RCD safety unit.