Electrical Solder Jointing

DannyB

Visit site
I carry a box of various sizes on board, just in case, but I got them from Banggood in China. Much cheapness, but look to be identical.
They work, just make sure the bared ends of the wires overlap in the middle where the solder is.

guyd

bossingtonhall.co.uk
Then you lot better not get on a plane ever again...

I spent five years designing electrical connectors to try to replace the above 'Raychem solder sleeve' - and didnt really succeed because its such a good design. Its used by the million on most planes.

The clever bit is in the order in which the sleeve melts - if the solder didnt melt fast enough, it would get squeezed out of the end, too slow and the rest gets too hot etc etc - very clever stuff and far far better than any manky home made connection you are going to make, assuming the ends of the wires are clean. Its hermetically sealed due to the glue at the ends, and wrapped in a heatshrink tube - how can it fail? Well they dont - which is why they are on planes..... I worked on the development of the A380 for smith's industries in their interconnect design and development department.