Electric outboards

nimuemusic

Visit site
Any views on electric outboards for use with an inflatable. Are they worth considering? If so what thrust and which makes are reliable?

PetiteFleur

Visit site
Advantages are that they are lightweight BUT you do have to lug a large heavy battery around(which needs recharging) and not a lot of thrust. Torqueeda do a very nice model but very expensive but relatively lightweight.
Sorry, can't recommend any make.

Tranona

Visit site
There is really only one suitable the Torquedo. However, very expensive (3 times the price of a petrol), has limited range - which might not be an issue, and needs recharging facilities. So not versatile when cruising, although does have the advantage of self contained battery. The others on the market are designed as trolling motors for lake fishers and require a separate battery - and not powerful enough to shift a laden inflatable.

VicS

Visit site
As Tranona says the market leaders seem to be Torqeedo http://www.torqeedo.com/uk/

Expensive. Heavy battery with some models but integrated batteries in others Range limited by battery capacity. Recharging facilities needed ... and not necessarily 12 volt.
Near silent though

Be sure to look carefully at the tech specs espc the propulsive power when comparing with traditional outboards. Do not be seduced by the high static thrust (bollard pull) figures quoted.

The older types of electric outboards, eg Minn Kota, Flover, and offerings from the well known outboard manufacturers, are still available.
AFAIK they all require a heavy battery.

Evadne

Visit site
Any views on electric outboards for use with an inflatable. Are they worth considering? If so what thrust and which makes are reliable?

I use a Torqeedo for getting to and from the mooring, at reasonable speeds it'll do two return trips, or about an hour's running on a full battery. The newer ones are bigger and heavier with (I think) 50% more capacity. The main thing is to go as slowly as you feel happy with, if you've a long way to go, buying one makes you what the marketing bods call an Early Adopter.

Pros: light and easily handled; reliable, usually starts first pull :D; quiet; no petrol required, so no smells, drips in the car boot etc.

Cons: limited range, difficult to refuel at sea. Complex, not easily mended at home (but there's a UK workshop). And very expensive, probably twice the cost of a new petrol OB.

maby

Visit site
Given the limitations, I think the only real selling point is the ability to be smug as an environmentally responsible sailor! I guess that they may be of some benefit to bird watchers and fishermen who will value the reduced noise that would otherwise scare away their targets.

Tranona

Visit site
That was what electric outboards were developed for getting on for 35 years ago. Popular pastime in US is bass fishing on lakes which are often drowned valleys. Deep water in the centre and shallow at the edges with lots of underwater obstructions. Roar across the lake on your flat bottomed skiff. Shut the engine, lift it, then nose around the shallows with your trolling motor up front. Comfortable chair to sit on, 6 pack of Bud in the ice box - what else could one want?

Dave_Seager

www.seagers.org.uk
I have used a Minn Kota Endura Pro 32 on a 2.6 meter inflatable on inland waterways and it gives a speed of about 3 knots. I think that it would struggle on more exposed water with both wind and waves.

The weight of the battery can be a problem if you need to use the dinghy as a tender.

The cheaper motors are not suitable for salt water. Minn Kota have a range of motors for salt water but they are significantly more expensive than the equivalent freshwater models.

Evadne

Visit site
Before the Torqeedo I had a 24lb thrust trolling motor for several years. It was fine, but struggled to push the heavy rigid tender, with two people plus gear in anything above a F5. It got a bit rusty but was reliable enough for about 15 years. The 60Ah battery was a pain to lug around, and gave no more endurance than the battery on the (more powerful) Torqeedo does. It was silent, unlike the Torqeedo which sounds like a sewing machine (AC motor) and much simpler and hence more reliable.

dancrane

Visit site
Ever tried the tender-equivalent of motor-sailing?

God bless all electric boat motors, however far short of owners' dreams they may fall. You are the future! Enjoy the silence... :(

One nice thing, particularly possible in inflatables with squashy rowlocks (common complaint) is rowing with the 'thruster' adding two knots to the pace. Like ambling along on an airport travelator. Minimal effort & nothing disturbs the peace. But keep an occasional look-out...

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
That was what electric outboards were developed for getting on for 35 years ago. Popular pastime in US is bass fishing on lakes which are often drowned valleys. Deep water in the centre and shallow at the edges with lots of underwater obstructions. Roar across the lake on your flat bottomed skiff. Shut the engine, lift it, then nose around the shallows with your trolling motor up front. Comfortable chair to sit on, 6 pack of Bud in the ice box - what else could one want?

The late Bill Fruin of Benson had a pre-war electric outboard used to push a canoe along on fishing trips up the Thames. It had a highly polished alloy casing and was so pretty to look at. He was the famous Brooklands racer and record breaker Rex Judd's mechanic and the pair of them would take a few days of and go "fishing". They would get the battery charged every night-it was easy in those days as most home radio sets used batteries and many places could charge them. From the stories he told me the fishing was an excuse for womanising and pub crawling-and why not.

dleroc

Visit site
Well I took a leap of faith and bought one through a German company on Ebay for £150. The make is 'Excursion' and has 58lbs of thrust. I tried in in the tidal Plym last Sunday to go out to the mooring and around a bit. The battery indicator still showed full capacity when I finished. I was using it to secure mooring strops on my trot mooring and it perfomed okay. At present I am using a golf trolley battery which is easy to handle and I secure it in an old camera bag.

Before using I tested it in the wheely bin for an hour on speed 3 (there are 5 forward and 5 reverse speeds) and the battery drop was negligible. The cables weren't in the slightest warm so it seems okay so far. The only gripe I have is that the power handle/tiller sits quite high. How well it performs against any flood tide remains to be seen, but then I could always use the oars!

DaveS

Visit site
I have used a Minn Kota Endura Pro 32 on a 2.6 meter inflatable on inland waterways and it gives a speed of about 3 knots. I think that it would struggle on more exposed water with both wind and waves.

The weight of the battery can be a problem if you need to use the dinghy as a tender.

The cheaper motors are not suitable for salt water. Minn Kota have a range of motors for salt water but they are significantly more expensive than the equivalent freshwater models.

I've been using a Minn Kota for a number of years in sea water despite the fact that it's actually a fresh water model. (This wasn't a deliberate decision: a certain popular German on-line chandler described it as "go anywhere", and the "fresh water only" notice was only found deeply buried in the destruction leaflet.) It seems to work OK, the only issue being that the fixing clamps tend to get a bit rusty if not kept well smeared in grease. Paint chips on the steel motor cover also rust if not touched up promptly. Maybe the dearer salt water model uses more stainless?

wklein

Visit site
Has a torqueedo for a couple of years, thrust was ok to push 8" redcrest style dinghy along in tidal waters, battery life was pretty good. In the end sold it with the boat as every 10th trip or so the battery lights would all flash meaning there was a fault and the battery had to be returned to the factory. In the end went back to 2 stroke. At least when an outboard stops you can mess with it.

Portofino

Visit site
We have minikota salt version for a 2.4 soft bottom tender
It's fine , 60 ah bat in a box makes carrying easy.
Easy to store clean and cheap to run, in fact free to run .
Recharge is done either with shore power or our Geny last aprox 2-3 hours
Has 5 forward and 1 reverse speed

Safe for kids to " play " with and you can run up a beach without funny looks from others
Also nothing explosive on board ( ceramic hob ) no gas either.
When not in use lives in a locker in a cabin - clean no messy drips
But we are in the minority? Most peaple do indeed have a petrol AB they are more powerful .

zikzik

Visit site
I bought a Torqeedo 1003 less than a year ago to use on my Honwave 2.7 inflatable and my Seahopper plywood folder. I already have a Honda 2.3 outboard. Motivation was clean, simple and stowability as it breaks down into 3 parts. That part works.

Peeps should be aware that their web sites states the same power and range as a 2-3hp petrol outboard. Untrue. The power is fine, the range useless when you need to use the power to push through the wind & tide. With a 520wh battery, you have half an hour at full speed. I have not acheived an hour. The baby Honda will double that at the same speed in the same conditions.

Also, support from the UK agent / rep is useless. I was told to contact the guy by phone and email. He did not answer his phone and did not answer his email. When I spoke to him on their stand at Excel this year he was quick to suggest a replacement battery might be needed. I did a time trial a full throttle and obtained the 30 minuets I should expect before pushing this. I contacted him again and guess what, no answer again.

Conclusion. A great concept at a high price (£1270) that lacks range and no support from the supplying dealer (Piplers) who instead push you onto this guy, John?, who ignores you.

I would not recommend anyone buy one of these or similar until they go twice as far at 25% less cost.

onesea

Visit site
Having been a passenger in one in a bit of a breeze in flat water. Lets just say Oars power came into effect.

If you want a fine weather troll for children (not in open water) great, if you want to go reliably in most weathers get a an outboard.

SpottyDog5

Visit site
Has a torqueedo for a couple of years, thrust was ok to push 8" redcrest style dinghy along in tidal waters, battery life was pretty good. In the end sold it with the boat as every 10th trip or so the battery lights would all flash meaning there was a fault and the battery had to be returned to the factory. In the end went back to 2 stroke. At least when an outboard stops you can mess with it.

Me too, had mine on a a walker bay 8ft, took it back after one outing, bought a Suzuki 2.5hp instead, so much better and a third of the price.