Electric blankets

WoodyP

Visit site
I like to get into a nice fresh bed and warm it from body heat. Mostly I find I am too hot in bed until the blanket and sheets are stolen by the bedmate. One good turn etc.

Don107

Visit site
From memory for safety reasons I think that electric blankets need to be flat when turned on and not tucked under mattresses etc so this might be something to keep in mind if you have odd sized mattresses in a v berth for instance

Regards Don

Robin

Visit site
There are different kinds of electric blanket too.
1)What used to be called an 'overblanket' is now called a heated 'throw' and can be used anywhere even in the recliner watching telly.
2)What used to be called an 'underblanket' is sometimes called a 'heated pad' and can now be left on all night not just used to pre-heat as in old days.

PLUS:-
under blankets can be a) plain that have ties to hold them in place or b) have skirts like a fitted sheet.
Either way the heated areas usually stop short of the extremities all round, presumably to avoid damage to the wires by creasing.

In our case with a somewhat oval shaped island bed somewhere between 'double' and 'king' size, we found a 'double' under blanket with a fitted elasticated skirt did the job admirably, a 'heated throw/over blanket could have been larger, king size and simply 'draped'. We had 6 failed tie down ones in 3 months before giving up on regular replacements and Argos got tired of doing it and refunded the money anyway. Current and successful one, so far lasting 2 years, by 'Reverie' has a false fur top which adds to cosiness too by padding over where the controls plug in. Only slight difficulty we had is we needed an extension lead as our 220v circuit on board has limited sockets fitted and with dual heat controllers 2 plug in points are required .

BlueChip

Visit site
Anybody use them for out of season sailing, especially where linked up to shorepower?

Yes, have used one for years in the winter, best thing ever together with the remote control for the Webasto heater.
Being warm in bed means I can leave the hatch cracked which keeps the condensation inside to a minimum