Elderly Centaur - good engine - standing rigging conundrum

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
On the way back from Inverness yesterday I called into South Ferriby to look at an elderly Centaur

built `1973

newish 2007 Yanmar engine

it has the usual gelcoat cracks, idiosyncratic electrics and saggy headlining

few snaps here

http://www.keepturningleft.co.uk/sa...arkoula-elderly-centaur-with-a-newish-engine/

it is an old one and has the inner shrouds attached above the window

but it also appears to have the U bolts for the later toe rail anchor point

http://www.keepturningleft.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Sequence-0321.jpg

there is some sort of crack by the edge of the window

http://www.keepturningleft.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Sequence-03008.jpg

this has had a gobbit of really badly applied gunge on it

the old survey said

"A crack was noted in the GRP above the f orward port saloon window. This was reportedly there when the
current owner purchased the vessel. The repair is cosmetically poor and thought should be given to the
areas being professionally repaired."

any thoughts chaps?

D

prv

Visit site
You can't possibly buy that one.

With a 2007 engine, an outboard well would obviously be out of the question.

What a disappointment that would be.

We can't have that.

Pete

VicS

Visit site
I though you were looking for a reasonably sound boat with a pile of carp in the engine room. Not a good engine in a pile of carp.

Tam Lin

Visit site
Always interesting looking at Centaurs as they are all a bit different. The crack above the window is a known fault and it does look like someone intended to modify the rigging but didn't get round to it. She does look like she had had some money spent on her at one time. One of the pics show a newish gas cooker, the bow roller has been replaced and there seems to be a lot of gear. Did you take the pics or are they from another site? What are the sails like?
Dylan, you know all the pros and cons and given your belief on sailing now and fixing later she may be what you are looking for. I suppose it all comes down to price. What is she up for? It could be worth modifying the rigging before tackling the rest of Scotland though - just to be on the safe side! Shouldn't cost much.
Oh yes, those wooden slats on the cockpit seats can let the water in through the bolt holes but I see some Treadmaster has been applied in places.

Topcat47

Visit site
HI Dylan,

If I were looking at this boat, I'd be more interested in the keel fixings than anything else. Regarding the standing rigging, if the pad is there for the later position, use it and replace the relevant stays. It's not an expensive mod and it's well worth the cash. A 2007 engine is a major plus in my book. It appears to be fairly well fitted out anyway. as the "proud" owner of a '66 boat I've no real problem with the age of the boat. There are older centaurs in my club and they're not marina ornaments. I think it'd probably a better choice than the Mirror was for the sort of sailing you want to do, particularly as you've got the west coast of Scotland and the Irish sea/Atlantic to worry about. As you were prepared to F@£$ about with an outboard well on previous Centaur, i fail to see what the concern is....

dylanwinter

HI Dylan,

If I were looking at this boat, I'd be more interested in the keel fixings than anything else. Regarding the standing rigging, if the pad is there for the later position, use it and replace the relevant stays. It's not an expensive mod and it's well worth the cash. A 2007 engine is a major plus in my book. It appears to be fairly well fitted out anyway. as the "proud" owner of a '66 boat I've no real problem with the age of the boat. There are older centaurs in my club and they're not marina ornaments. I think it'd probably a better choice than the Mirror was for the sort of sailing you want to do, particularly as you've got the west coast of Scotland and the Irish sea/Atlantic to worry about. As you were prepared to F@£$ about with an outboard well on previous Centaur, i fail to see what the concern is....

It is the window that is my concern

the reason for the bigger boat is not to cope with the sea conditions but to cope with the west coast wetness when tied to a pontoon

the weather forecasts are reliable enough to avoid bad weather

dylanwinter

HI Dylan,

the keel fixings look great - they have been strengthened and the bilges are completely dry - which is a bit of a miracle.

the fixings on the underside of the unused toe rail stay connection look a bit undersized to me

aquaplane

www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk
Does KTL need another shilling in the meter, It's unavailable here?

The problem with the aft lowers attached just above the windows was that they caused leaks, if the windows don't leak is there a problem?

I don't feel like I can make many comments until I see the pics.

Visit site
My inexperienced thoughts are:

If the photos were taken recently it looks a nice, well cared for boat. Someone has made the effort to at least clean it for sale and it's probably been looked after well.
The horrible "repair" is not difficult to smarten up. If it were a posh boat I'd remove the window, but if it were a posh boat it wouldn't be mine. ;) There's plenty of instruction vids on Youtube about grp repairs and with an application of time, that could be repaired properly to the point where you wouldn't see it. BUT - Tam Lin mentioned it to be a known fault. That being the case there may also be tried and trust repair/modification worth investigating?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
It is the window that is my concern

I wouldn't worry too much. As others have said, it's traditional for early Centaurs to go there and all you have to do is move the chain plates and fit new shrouds ... sounds as if the first bit has been done and you could always extend the existing shrouds until you can easily change them.

PuffTheMagicDragon

Visit site
One popular way of handling the window problem on pre-1976 Centaurs is very simple. Bridge the pane on the inside with a length of stainless steel flat bar, say 30mm x 4mm, to take the strain down to deck level, i.e., below the window. Flat bar will be hidden behind the cabin curtains. If you visit the Westerly Owners Yahoo Group there are some pictures put up by the man who came up with the idea (Forgot his name now). There is a wealth of information there, including several photos of some modifications that I did on my old Centaur; they'll be in a file called CYANO.

Visit site
just looked at the pics and answered my own question, the inners are where they are/were on mine (4th & 5th screw on window frame) so the crack is a mystery? where the crack is too far forward for it to affect the inners shrouds.

Last edited:
Visit site
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, thats interesting you have a u bolt on deck in the same place where the existing inners are on the coachrood down on the side deck. I do laugh when you look at the engineering on the Griffons shroud attachment and look at the penny washers used on the Centaur, must've employed new guys for the Centaurs replacement.;)

dylanwinter

I dont get it, have the inner shrouds been moved to the side decks off the coachroof?

I am not sure I understand what has been going on - and if the crack is related to the position of the shroud

I assume 1973 they were still attaching them to the windows

I could use dyneema lashings and bring the existing inner shrouds to the new tow rail attachments

D

dylanwinter

I dont get it, have the inner shrouds been moved to the side decks off the coachroof?

I am not sure I understand what has been going on - and if the crack is related to the position of the shroud

I assume 1973 they were still attaching them to the windows

I could use dyneema lashings and bring the existing inner shrouds to the new tow rail attachments

D

Uricanejack

Visit site
when looking at old boats they all have issues. a structural one would concern me.
If the price is right, and the cost of repair is reasonable,you willend up with a nice dryboat fit for your purpose