EHIC Card Post Brexit

LinTeal

Visit site
I live in the UK ,have a UK passport and an Irish passport.As an Irish passport holder I assume I will be entitled to an EHIC in 2021.Does anyone
have any thoughts as to how I would get one bearing in mind I don't have an Irish address?

jordanbasset

Visit site
Unfortunately doesn't look good for you
Irish citizens living in the UK fear they may lose healthcare access across EU after Brexit
A Department of Health spokesperson confirmed to TheJournal.ie that the EHIC is issued not on the basis of someone’s nationality but instead issued based on a person’s residency in an EU country.
“Although an individual may be an Irish passport holder, as they are resident in the UK, the issuance and continued validity of UK issued EHIC cards is a matter for the relevant British authorities,” the spokesperson said.

nortada

Visit site
Been here a few times before so most aspects are already well covered in LL.

Popular answer is, many countries will make their own treaty with the UK post the Transition Period and there could be a wide variation in health cover policies.

The future of the UK EHIC - nobody knows.

One self-help solution is, get residency in a EU country and claim an EHIC based on that residency.

Believe this has already worked well for some UK citizens. Others will be able to provide greater detail.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
One self-help solution is, get residency in a EU country and claim an EHIC based on that residency. Believe this has already worked well for some UK citizens. Others will be able to provide greater detail.

Permanent residence as a pensioner in Portugal gives me free health care and an EHIC, can't remember if the 5 year initial residence had that benefit, Brexit hadn't reared its ugly head then so I didn't apply.

If the UK EHIC disappears, it will be a major problem for particularly those 70+ where the cost of long stay medical insurance is very expensive or even impossible to obtain for those with some preexisting complaints.

nortada

Visit site
I am also keen to k now if a temporary (5-year) residence in Portugal entitles you to a Portuguese EHIC

- W

This has been covered before and others will be able to give you a definitive answer.

I have temporary Portuguese residency and a UK EHIC but I understand that it is not permissible to have a more than one EHIC, simultaneously, from different EU countries. Can't see why you would want one? However, once we leave the Transition Period and are fully out of the EU then temporary (5-year) residency in Portugal will entitle that resident to a Portuguese EHIC.

I stand to be corrected.:unsure:

nortada

Visit site
Permanent residence as a pensioner in Portugal gives me free health care and an EHIC, can't remember if the 5 year initial residence had that benefit, Brexit hadn't reared its ugly head then so I didn't apply.

If the UK EHIC disappears, it will be a major problem for particularly those 70+ where the cost of long stay medical insurance is very expensive or even impossible to obtain for those with some preexisting complaints.

Of course, there is talk of a bi-lateral agreement between Portugal and the UK for health cover post the Transition Period. I understand there are more Portuguese in the UK than vice-versa so it could be very much in Portugal's interests. Time will tell.

Health insurance there are some schemes in Portugal by which you pay a relatively modest sum for greatly reduced medical cover.

E TA SIMPLE IR AO MEDICO RNA CA springs to mind but there are others.

A suitable search on Google should bear fruit and would be very interested in any feedback.

Last edited:

Graham376

Visit site
This has been covered before and others will be able to give you a definitive answer.

I have temporary Portuguese residency and a UK EHIC but I understand that it is not permissible to have a more than one EHIC, simultaneously, from different EU countries. Can't see why you would want one? However, once we leave the Transition Period and are fully out of the EU then temporary (5-year) residency in Portugal will entitle that resident to a Portuguese EHIC. I stand to be corrected.:unsure:

It is permissible to have dual residence in some countries and if both countries give the right to have one, why is it not permissible - do you have a link? Obviously, they can't both be used together and if I had a problem now, I would use my UK issued one.

We don't know what future changes there will be to reciprocal health arrangements or, the right to free healthcare in some second countries of residence so now would be a good time to apply, you may not be able to once we exit. My wife tells me the 5 year residence gives entitlement but please check for yourselves.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com

I have temporary Portuguese residency and a UK EHIC but I understand that it is not permissible to have a more than one EHIC, simultaneously, from different EU countries. Can't see why you would want one? However, once we leave the Transition Period and are fully out of the EU then temporary (5-year) residency in Portugal will entitle that resident to a Portuguese EHIC.

I stand to be corrected.:unsure:
I was talking about post-transition. UK EHIC will only work until the end of this year.

Still thinking about a boat in the Canaries with Portuguese residency to get round the 90 day rule and have health cover.

Plan is to stay in Portugal on the way down for long enough to get residency. Boat could return to Portugal once a year if necessary, though it is an uphill sail. Summer voyages to the Azores then back to the Canaries might be a possibility.

- W

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
I live in the UK ,have a UK passport and an Irish passport.As an Irish passport holder I assume I will be entitled to an EHIC in 2021.Does anyone
have any thoughts as to how I would get one bearing in mind I don't have an Irish address?

An Irish passport does not automatically get you a EHIC card.
An EHIC card is issued by the health authority of the country where you live.
As you are a UK resident...

Graham376

Visit site
I was talking about post-transition. UK EHIC will only work until the end of this year.
Still thinking about a boat in the Canaries with Portuguese residency to get round the 90 day rule and have health cover.
Plan is to stay in Portugal on the way down for long enough to get residency. Boat could return to Portugal once a year if necessary, though it is an uphill sail. Summer voyages to the Azores then back to the Canaries might be a possibility. - W

Portuguese residence is given on the understanding you are resident there, not for what you propose. At the end of the 5 years, you won't be able to apply for permanent status unless you can prove to them you have lived there for the previous 5 years.

Graham376

Visit site
Just out of interest, how do they check?

I'm not sure but know of a couple of people who were refused permanent status and were given another 5 year, to start again. When applying for permanent some years ago, I had to provide property documents, utility bills etc., to prove I was established. Unlike now, it's likely passports will be stamped to record movements.

Cloud 5

Visit site
It will be interesting to see how this plays out between both parts of Ireland , fracturing in the GFA which is international.