Edward William Insurance are at it again

HinewaisMan

www.oceanodyssey.net
Edward William SL, that well known bucket shop marine insurance broker, are at it again.

Having been well turned over by them earlier in the year for a few hundred pounds when the “underwriter”, Northern Reef, “went bust” leaving me suddenly with no cover, nor with a chance of getting my money back, they have the gall to just drop me a renewal notice for my insurance.

And with the renewal date as if I were still insured with Northern Reef.

OK, so I didn’t bother to come back to you after my money was pocketed, yet you seem to think I’ve been sitting here with no insurance just waiting with bated breath for Edward William to come back to me with new insurance?????

Yeah Right! Oh, by the way, the new underwriters, ION Insurance SA of Costa Rica really fill me with confidence to boot.

I know. There were enough warnings here and in other forums about Edward William and Northern Reef, but fool that I am, I ignored them.

At the end of the day though, I suppose should count my blessings. It only cost me a bit of premium, I never had to make a claim.

Thing is, it took a bit of work and a survey, but at the end of the day I found new cover with a reputable company that was only a few pounds more.

I realise the prices are tempting, the lack of need for a survey a bit of a garnish, but please, if the words Edward and William come into your mind, run away. Run away!

Last edited:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Congratulations on a lucky escape.

There was someone here recently who claimed to have had an Edward Williams claim paid, but since they posted very few times, almost always about insurance and repeatedly contradicted themselves about what insurers they had used and when, it wasn't the most convincing of endorsements.

V1701

Visit site
I think there are two choices with insurance - either go full monty with a reputable company with proven good claims handling or basic third party effectively self-insuring your own boat...

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
Congratulations on a lucky escape.

There was someone here recently who claimed to have had an Edward Williams claim paid, but since they posted very few times, almost always about insurance and repeatedly contradicted themselves about what insurers they had used and when, it wasn't the most convincing of endorsements.
I'm prepared to believe that EW will pay out on the odd small claim, just like any well run Ponzi scheme. I did a bit of digging and think that the Norfolk Broads connection would be worth following up if anyone had unsavoury friends they wanted to send somewhere.

(If you like a good scam there was an interesting story about Dolphin Property Group Gmbh on R4 today).

Other threads that may be of interest