Education

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Hi all. As you know from my previous posts . r.e. How the hell do you educate the children,? when you livaboard ,this is the only thing, that keeps me from going the whole hog, and not just extended school holidays as we have been doing the last 5 yrs .Cheers Bob t .
ps Thanks Kim hope this forum works bob t.

Bob T

BarryD

Visit site
I know we've crossed swords in the past rtboss but surely your putting your pleasure before your children's education and future - not only in terms of academic challenge but also in social interaction with large groups of children around their own ages? And putting them under heavier strain to achieve the same marks / grade point averages with less schooling?

Barry D.

"No, No, no - come off the plane before entering the lock..."

billskip

Visit site
I do not disagree the childrens education is very important..and social life... andI think Bob is fully aware of this ..otherwise he would not ask..but many children are "carted around the world" due to all sorts of reasons and I think some of these children benefit from it..children cant go out and play safely any more....drugs, traffic,big crime with mobile phones etc..I think this decision is being made after many years of liveaboard breaks on their boat and not just "think its a good idea"
IMHO

Bill
www.aegeansailing.co.uk

G

Living aboard is a family life style chose and has many benefits for both children and adults

I think Barry you are being a little shallow and naive if you think children educated onboard are some how less academically challenged and have less schooling.

I wander how many children you have interacted with who have been through onboard/home education and compared them with similar children from your local area, had you, you would not have such uneducated and naive views

As for social interaction/ interpersonal skill, all the children I have met, that have been brought up on board are so far ahead of children of a similar age either home educated or in a conventional system it is obvious that you are just not trying to thinking out of the shallow uniformed box that was your education.

Chris (father of two)

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Have to agree. I have been having a discusion with a poster called John he is the Head of a public school . and he is putting together a course for livaboards .It seems that he has two pupils already using this plan .Do not have all the details yet.The social intercourse thing is important, and give me a little concern . But the children of the livaboards that I have met seem to have a more rounded outlook on life, and not such a parochial view. I live in a small village the young kids here sit outside the chippy, or bus stop all night ,seems a waste of time,just wating to get into trouble , and just a little pointless, i could show mine the world if I had the balls to do it . lets hope that other livaboards with children give their views cheers. bob t . Hi Bill ,thanks for the support ,and the PM. about the other thing .See you in Poros in a few weeks. my round .bob t

Bob T

BarryD

Visit site
CJW - In general I find that children who "boat" seem a lot more sensible and in-control than others.

However taking them out of school and teaching them yourself or with an aid package should not be taken lightly. I certainly do not think "rtboss" has done this on a whim. Modern education covers a wide range of subjects to a great depth and if the abilty exists to impart the knowledge required to ensure that they get grades that don't disadvantage them from university placements (if that is their choice) then great. How do you know that the child has an interest in botony / biology if you yourself don't - it would be impossible not to impart your prejudices into the child. Most teachers I had were enthused by their subject and carried you along.

As for me being shallow and naive and unable to think out side of my education box - you seem pretty defensive about home education and agressive to me considering you know FA about my education.

Barry D.

Added later:

And BTW can't resist the dig - your grammer is not quite correct (you wrote lifestyle chose I think you meant choice for instance ) so please don't teach that as a primary subject. Mind you mine if far from perfect! Hey RT asked I answered! Please no personal attacks - life is just too short <G>

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by BarryD on Thu Feb 28 18:30:27 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Barry D. it seems that when we cross swords you get angry, pehapse you should sell that stinkpot ,and buy a real boat, everything will then slow down and you will become calmer. Thanks for your imput though it is a hard decision, and all points of view are welcome. Cheers bob t.

Bob T

BarryD

Visit site
Surely Not <G>

Not angry RT just putting my viewpoint across. For information I am one of the those dragged around many schools every 18/24 months. It does force you to become very self reliant and driven, almost insular. I met a lot of self / home taught types - they were certainly not dumb but definitely unknowing (is there such a word?) about certain parts of the general curriculum. This meant that they were playing catch up - having said that in other areas they were ahead.

As you said - not something to be done lightly.

As for selling my stinkpot - now why would I want to do that (er... actually might be this weekend). Trouble with these rag 'n stick things is that they require physical effort to make them go. Come summer I hope to have a go on one - I do like the idea but I'm not sure SWMBO does <G>.

Barry D.

"No, No, no - come off the plane before entering the lock..."

G

Barry
You obviously have done no research or had had any experience of this subject which is (How the hell do you educate the children,? when you livaboard) and you are just expressing your views on standard education, that’s great! What we need are educated /informed opinions, then we can absorb them or disregard them but to even consider them they must be founded in some knowledge of the subject.

Chris

Gerry

www.gerryantics.blogspot.com
Slightly different to living on board I know but I educated my daughter, now 19, at home for two years from 13-15. Long story why but the important thing is that in that time the subjects we covered have turned out to be the ones that have really stuck in her mind. It didn't compromise her when she returned to the mainstream and she is now in her first year at Notiningham Uni. Rather she has become a much more self motivated and enquiring person who searches for their own answers rather than accepting others views without question. In deed this is the thing that has perhaps made life more difficult for her educationally as she was often labelled a 'difficult' pupil as she was far more prepared to question and disagree with the adult teacher. It was a difficult task as the home teacher but one that I have no regrets about. What we did clearly find that educational days were much shorter than the conventional school day as so much more was covered in a shorter time span and equally many more things became educational experiences. Navigation and market shopping are wonderful for maths. Washing as the romans did using olive oil and a body scraper, whilst very messy formed a lifelong interest in the classics and so it goes on. Don't be put off by convention, have a go!! I believe you all have everything to gain.

poter

Still going south currently in Corsica for winter
www.fairhead.com
Although we were not strictly LA's we did travel extensivly, some 25 years, and lived aboard a few times in some very strange places throughout the world. My son was born in Dubai ( UAE ) and was educated there up to age 10 then I took over for a few years. Although the formal education probably suffered, the life experience more than made up for it.

As far as social interaction is concerned he probably met and enjoyed a far broader social mix of people than he would have going to the local comprehensive.

Go for it! and enjoy the kids company.

by the by Mike ( son ) is now in his last year of a Phd at Imperial London.

poter

P.S. the only drawback was that he was not street wise... but hey who wants to be wise about drugs, mugging, etc. <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by poter on Thu Feb 28 23:34:48 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>