Eddie Jordans new Tender

halcyon

Visit site
Yes it would do but that trailer has no lights on the sides ,they are meant to be at certain places on the side frame not the mudguards .

If things have not dramatically changed since the late 70's when I was doing trailer type approval, is were the trailer was tested, back then the Dutch would approve a trailer that the UK would not touch.

Same rule different interpretation.

Brian

Door Mop

Visit site
MapisM - that trailer is not a bramber. They are fully type approved. The offending trailer is made by Extreme marine.
JFM - The weld was just an example, in the case of the full A frame it is not as obvious as a trailer with a protruding draw bar
As me2 says there must be amber lights down thr chassis of the trailer. If it is wide enough (which this trailer is) it should also have marker lights on the front of the wheel arches.

aquapower

Visit site
MapisM - that trailer is not a bramber. They are fully type approved. The offending trailer is made by Extreme marine.
JFM - The weld was just an example, in the case of the full A frame it is not as obvious as a trailer with a protruding draw bar
As me2 says there must be amber lights down thr chassis of the trailer. If it is wide enough (which this trailer is) it should also have marker lights on the front of the wheel arches.

If the Extreme trailer is not legal/type approved then how do they get away with selling in UK ?

Door Mop

Visit site
Good point raised there. We dont get that many visits from VOSA. I think it is just luck. Because the trailers arent approved they are cheap, whos going to complan about that?

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
Because the trailers arent approved they are cheap, whos going to complan about that?

Other trailer manufacturers who have incurred the extra costs of type approval but are being undercut on price, and owners who have bought one thinking it's road legal.

Are you really saying that Extreme Marine are knowingly selling illegal trailers? That's quite a serious accusation, so I hope you're sure of your facts.

Door Mop

Visit site
Yes that is correct, they are selling illegal trailers. All trailer manufacturers are being undercut which is unfair.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
I am surprised that trailers designed to be immersed in the water have to be fitted with lights on the trailer body. I would have thought exemption would apply.

We have suffered the wrath of the EU on our car transporter trailers. A like for like replacement purchased recently started eating alloy wheels when cars were being loaded on. The culprit was a re-designed light cluster enclosure which incorporated the now required reversing lights.

All well and good except that in the Uk our wiring doesn't allow for reversing lights and they are not a legal requirement. Fortunately spare parts are still available for the old model of trailer and we were able to purchase replacements to upgrade our trailer back to the old design :)

You have to love EU regulations.

Henry :)

me2

Visit site
Halcyon , we are talking trailers upto inc 3500kgs , they have never needed any Type App until Oct 2012 , but I do know what you mean.

Late last year we had a VOSA visit to make sure all the trailers in stock were upto std and had all the paper work , they then checked we are keeping the correct paperwork when the trailers have been sold . Thats the bad thing about this , Extreme are selling trailers under what they think is a loop hole and we have to make sure our paperwork is up to date !

halcyon

Visit site
Halcyon , we are talking trailers upto inc 3500kgs , they have never needed any Type App until Oct 2012 , but I do know what you mean.

Late last year we had a VOSA visit to make sure all the trailers in stock were upto std and had all the paper work , they then checked we are keeping the correct paperwork when the trailers have been sold . Thats the bad thing about this , Extreme are selling trailers under what they think is a loop hole and we have to make sure our paperwork is up to date !

We supplied undergear and chassis across the UK market. It was the 70's period when we changed from National type approval to EU approval and testing starting at MIRA, so worked with EU and the old Construction and Use Regs.

Brian

me2

Visit site
Yes thats right but that was for 3500 kgs and above , when I started making trailers it was all about getting mini parts and turning them into trailers ... mind you that was 27 years ago !

halcyon

Visit site
Yes thats right but that was for 3500 kgs and above , when I started making trailers it was all about getting mini parts and turning them into trailers ... mind you that was 27 years ago !

Rubery Owen covered all trailers, we supplied undergear from 500KG, supplied nearly all horse boxes, mobile compressors, a lot of the boat trailers and made caravan and general chassis. Spent a lot time getting customer's trailers through EU brake approval, and fighting DOE ( ? ) at MIRA over stupid test procedures around the early 1970's.

Spent nearly 15 years designing undergear chassis and type approval, moved on in the late 70's when they moved Light Trailer to Wrexham.

Brian

me2

Visit site
Yes ok , but the EU was not around back then ! this is about all trailers been the same std no matter where they came from . When we brought in unit there was no test paperwork with them and no type app numbers stamped on them . there is now. Back then it was only for English made trailers and others had different rules , back then you just made the trailer put it on the road end off now it has to be checked tested and then put on the road .

Last edited:

halcyon

Visit site
Yes ok , but the EU was not around back then ! this is about all trailers been the same std no matter where they came from . When we brought in unit there was no test paperwork with them and no type app numbers stamped on them . there is now. Back then it was only for English made trailers and others had different rules , back then you just made the trailer put it on the road end off now it has to be checked tested and then put on the road .

71/320/EEC was (from memory ), spent 2 years of my life meeting those regs, that included £25K development budget ( worth 5 new 3 bed detached houses then ), mid 70's remember filling in the type approval forms for Sinclair Trailer's horseboxes.

Brian

MrB

Visit site
Does it matter if the trailer has lights or not if it's only used around a private yard and not on a public highway?:ambivalence:

halcyon

Visit site
Visit site
Good trailer spot! Much more useful stuff to get into than its payload! Looks like the Tender design brief was to carry plenty of passengers, done. Oh, hold on what about speed? I know, lets give it a stepped hull as well! Oh, it don't fit, okay, lets remove the screen! Looks sad now, can we taper the tubes? No, it's already on the trailer!

EME

www.lumishore.com
Not sure why you folks are worried about Trailer Lights .. its a RIB… its got the best and brightest lights in the World… ahem!

in fact a birdie tells me that they are better/brighter than the mother craft … be interested in what EJ thinks :D

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Not sure why you folks are worried about Trailer Lights .. its a RIB… its got the best and brightest lights in the World… ahem!

in fact a birdie tells me that they are better/brighter than the mother craft … be interested in what EJ thinks :D

Oceanleds? :D:D