Eberspacher or webasto?!

Aquabell27

Visit site
Am going to treat myself to a heater at the London boatshow, fed up of cold winter mornings waiting for the fish to nibble the rod! Wondered what people thought of these 2 heaters, iam leaning towards the webasto at the moment, will be purchasing the smallest model.

mm1

Visit site
Ok my 2 penath,I have eberspacher fitted & given very regular maintenance is an excellent system,if I could i would run it on paraffin (runs much cleaner).if I were to install a new system now I would choose a gas system,runs very clean & very little maintenance.Eberspacher's do need regular attention to glow plugs & screens.
Regards David.
Ps what ever you choose do install in a very accessible position as you WILL need to get at it!!.
David .

Last edited:

Prhperio

Visit site
Am going to treat myself to a heater at the London boatshow, fed up of cold winter mornings waiting for the fish to nibble the rod! Wondered what people thought of these 2 heaters, iam leaning towards the webasto at the moment, will be purchasing the smallest model.

We fitted Eberspacher or a previous boat but have Webasto on our current one. I didn't think there was much to choose between the two until I read the thread " finally got the webaato fired up however, was it luck?" That has some interesting info that would make me lean towards Webasto especially the post about only getting 5 tries to fire up the Eberspacher unit before you have to call the dealer.

Good luck with whatever you choose.... Either will give you loads more use of the boat at either end of the season (or through a British summer!)

Paul

Last edited:

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
Have had both and equally happy with both (Eberspacher, webasto). They are very similar quality and performance. Happily go to sleep with either running but wouldn't allow gas heating on our boat for obvious reasons.

Ps. If your batteries are really down the eberspacher won't fire hence the engineer reset needed after 5 fails.

sailorman

Visit site
Look at Mikuni as well, far more reliable than eversplutter

itchenseadog

www.hopeandaiddirect.org.uk

Eberspacher, Webasto = trouble. Try Mikuni.
Whatever you decide on fit it somewhere where it's accessible.

David2452

Visit site
Contrary to previous posts they are all about as reliable as one another (D2 specifically excepted) if a marine unit is fitted properly and looked after, the Webasto has a more sophisticated control system than the Eber / Mikuni but if you want it for a fishing boat and only need a 2kw for the wheelhouse (that's all one will do really) then I would go for a Webasto 2000ST single outlet kit or a Mikuni MY19 single outlet, The Mikuni will be less sophistocated but equally reliable an cheaper by a long way.

crust

Visit site
had both and put simply, nothing but grief from eber and current webasto now seven years old and used throughout each winter, very good!

Aquabell27

Visit site
Contrary to previous posts they are all about as reliable as one another (D2 specifically excepted) if a marine unit is fitted properly and looked after, the Webasto has a more sophisticated control system than the Eber / Mikuni but if you want it for a fishing boat and only need a 2kw for the wheelhouse (that's all one will do really) then I would go for a Webasto 2000ST single outlet kit or a Mikuni MY19 single outlet, The Mikuni will be less sophistocated but equally reliable an cheaper by a long way.

Obviously you are a dealer so you know what you are talking about and from talking to a few people at the marina yesterday I get the impression that if fitted correctly and maintained then both are very reliable! Thanks for all the comments

maby

Visit site
We had Webasto on our previous boat and have Eber now. Both have been reasonably reliable and, running flat out, there doesn't seem to be much to choose between them. The modern Webastos do seem to be better at running at low power levels than Ebers - useful in spring and autumn or for leaving some background heat on when you are away brom the boat.

rosssavage

Visit site
Mikuni. I have the MY30, over 20yrs old now.

At 18 yrs I treated it to new burner tube, new fan motor, new fuel nozzle and screen. Starts first time every time, even after months not used. All parts still available (almost identical to current model, except ecu and swirl plate).

No lock out if no start (not that I have ever tried more than twice, when new glow plug required) and parts are CHEAP(er than eberspacher....)

sailorman

Visit site
Mikuni. I have the MY30, over 20yrs old now.

At 18 yrs I treated it to new burner tube, new fan motor, new fuel nozzle and screen. Starts first time every time, even after months not used. All parts still available (almost identical to current model, except ecu and swirl plate).

No lock out if no start (not that I have ever tried more than twice, when new glow plug required) and parts are CHEAP(er than eberspacher....)
also back to base repairs, at reasonable cost

Rustyeod

Visit site
I have a Webasto 2010 hooked up to my Webasto chiller system and stay toasty all winter. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Wavey

Visit site
Have 2 Webastos on my current boat and both are a tad unreliable. Too complicated and designed primarily to run on road diesel. One went back to Webasto are came back worse than when it went.

Previous boat (liveaboard) had a Mikuni unit for 18 years and was ultra reliable. Uncomplicated unit that does exactly what it says on the tin, backed up by a very friendly and reasonably priced service dept in Southampton. The next time one of my Webastos packs up a Mikuni is going in instead. I prefer not to have my fingers crossed every time you hit the start button.

Last edited: