Eberspacher Heating - Princess 32

[448]

Visit site
Dunno about the installation, but make sure your batteries are OK. They seem to use more amps than they say.

ChrisP

Visit site
I've just fitted a new Eberspatcher Airtronic 4 to my Humber. Took about 10 hours. The installation is fairly straight forward but the instructions that come with the kit are fairly c**p. If you cant read a wiring diagram find some one that can. I chose the Airtronic 4 for its low power consumption and the availability of spares in the future. There were concerns about the output against the 5DL but we find that within about 15 to 20 mins the boat is too hot and clothes have to come off. Adjusting the thermostat would help but its not so much fun.
I used flexable ducting from the local air conditioning suppliers £18 per 10 metres instead of £22 per meter from Eberspatcher. Works fine.
1. Keep the ducting runs as straight as possible this will cut down the friction losses and improve the air delivery.
2 make sure the longest run is made in the largest size of duct possible keep the small diameter runs as short as poss.
3 Avoid sharp bends like the plague.
4 Keep the fuel runs as short as you can. Even with a run of about 3 feet it took about 9 attempts at starting before the system was full of fuel.
5 The Airtronic is not so power hungry due to the new type of igniter but it might be an idea to make sure the batteries are topped right up to see you through the commissioning trials.
6 Site the unit where you can get to it easily. The service engineers charge by the hour and that includes stripping out the boat.
7 Make sure there is a good supply of fresh air to the heater.
8 Use a hole saw to cut the ducting holes rather than a jig saw. Much easier.
9 Get somebody to help pull the ducting through it really makes a difference as opposed to trying to struggle on your own.
10 Site the outlets where they blow into the main airspace of the cabin rather than onto the back of the cabin door when it open. This will speed up the warm up time.

I've fitted 4 or 5 eberspatcher's and Webasto's and this last one was by far the easiest. Take your time planning the duct routes and it will pay off later in both the installation and the performance of the equipment.

Good luck
ChrisP

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Thanks to all, particularly Chris, for response.
I had purchased a second hand D1LC that had previously been fitted in a truck and although in good working order it came with plastic flexible fuel line - not good news for BSS! Have now managed to speak direct to Eberspacher and find they have a kit for marine fuel line installation so hope all will now be revealed.
If anyone else interested in this the heater cost £250 +p&p and came tested and with 3 month gtee. I decided price saving over new was interesting enough to gamble - time will tell.

boatone@boatsonthethames.co.uk

ChrisP

Visit site
To meet the spec all you have to use is copper tube (1/8" I think) and Brass compression fittings. Buy from local plumbers merchant or even chandler. Much cheaper. Try Steve in the chandlers at Penton Hook he's usually pretty good for this sort of thing.

G

Not in a Princess, but i experienced problems as the hull penetration was not original size. The hose for inlet air also caused problems as it's shape gave a goos neck effect. trapped water blocked the air supply........