eberspacher heaters

chrissy

Visit site
Used the boat today turned on the eberspacher and the fan for the heater did not appear to be turning fast enough and the green light on the rheostat was flashing obviously idicating a fault. I have had this problem before and thought it was the batteries down .Took them home and fully charged them but when i fired it up this morning it was the same. after going down the canal to gloucester and returning i tried it again and it worked perfectly on the way back belting out the heat. could the diesel in the pump be frozen as its been very cold just lately or could it be just condensation etc. i have checked the wireing and fuses and this appears ok.

alt

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like tipical Eberspatcher, designed to fail and uddles of money for menders. Must have spent about six grand on mine, before I finaly dispached it.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK I only have my Erber 6 months (on a 2002 boat) but so far it's worked fine without fail, but i've put up a lot of hours on it - Could that be the key to it's success?

alt

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Eber told me to run mine, or at least fire it up every month evan through the summer!.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine gets about 4 - 8 hours a week regardless of time of the year

mikesyam

Visit site
Taken from the Eber Website,
Q7: Will my Eberspacher heater run on red diesel and how often will it need servicing?

Answer:
"Our heater products are designed to run on fuel to specification BS EN 590 as stated in the Technical book that accompanies all heaters."

It is commonly thought that red diesel is road diesel with a red dye in it. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. There are two types of red diesel available, one is Gas Oil with red dye, and the other is Low Sulphur Gas Oil (City Gas Oil) with a red dye. The latter meets BS EN 590 and has the same specification as road diesel.

We have contacted a couple of Fuel Suppliers to ascertain "what exactly is it in the fuel that makes it different".

The main differences between "Gas Oil (non BS EN 590)" and Low Sulphur Gas Oil (to BS EN 590), is the former has a lower 'Cetane rating' 46 against 52, higher sulphur %Wt 0.2 against 0.005, higher Flash point 82 against 67 and Carbon residue, on 10% distillation residue, %Wt .12 against <0.001.

This fuel issue causes big problems in my marina, the local Eber dealer will not install any more Ebers in our marina because of it and Eber will not honour my warranty because of it either. The fact Eber sells marine heaters knowing there fed off the main tank normally containing gas oil/red diesel stinks.

gary3029

Visit site
you need to use and abuse the heater. Mine is 4 years old and runs nearly every day of the year. Never had a problem with it or the red diesel I use. They need to be used on a regular basis to keep them going