eberspacher and wooden boat

hillyarder

Visit site
thinking of fitting an eberspacher heater to my 9 ton hillyard. however i am a little concerned of running the heating ducts too close to the hull planks as this may have an effect on them. am i being silly, has anyone got an eberspacher or similar in a wooden boat.

<hr width=100% size=1>

paulrossall

Visit site
I do not have a wooden boat but do have an Eberspacher and I would share your concern. However do you need to run ducting near the planks? I have a D3LC in my engine compartment and the hot air blows out next to the companion-way steps and blows right down the boat and into the forepeak on my 30 footer. I would only put ducting under the floorboards if no alternative. I do not like the idea on cutting through from one locker to another. There were some posts recently about lagging for ducting. Do a search on all forums. You will have to consider what arrangement you need to make for the exhaust as it does get very hot.Paul

<hr width=100% size=1>" there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats".

hillyarder

Visit site
thats interesting. hillyard is centre cockpit. i could put the unit in the engine bay and have two short pipes into each cabin fore and aft. i was wondering about the ducting going along the boat as i am not sure how powerful the blowers are. i was thinking of the d4 model (32 foot boat) but a twin outlet d2 would be cheaper. i dont like the idea of ducting running the lenghth of the boat but if the blower was powerful enough to heat it from the step then i would not have to.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gordonmc

Visit site
Hi,

I am in the process of fitting an early D1 into an aft cockpit Hillyard 8 ton and was less concerned about the ducting runs as to where to exhaust combustion gasses.
The only position for a skin fitting would be high on the canoe stern. The engine exhaust is often under water part of the time when heeled.
With the Eber under the cockpit floorboard this would mean a very long exhaust run. I have opted for putting the unit under the port side berth, blowing into the cabin at floor level. No ducting. I will run a length of duct for the intake air to a vent further down the cabin. The exhaust will go more or less straight up to a fitting on the side of the coachhouse.
To the point... it will be essential to lag the exhaust its full length. I intend wrapping it in fibreglass insulation inside some cheap aluminium ducting to keep heat off away from the planks and ribs. I will make a box to cover the inside of the skin fitting and likewise loose pack it with fibreglass.

All this assumes I get the damn Eber working in the first place!

<hr width=100% size=1>

hillyarder

Visit site
yes i have been thinking about the exhaust. i am not sure but i think the max length is 2 meters. i read also that in a centre cockpit the exhaust can fit aft of the winches. that means for me the skin fitting will be amidships and annoying to anyone rafted up, or even dangerous. i shall try and exhaust it as far aft as possible still keeping the heater in the engine bay. i was looking forward to a new heater but now i keep worrying. its the story of my life.
on another subject, you have a wooden mast like mine. i am aiming to fit roller reefing as my kids are getting sick of changing the sails. have you got this arrangement and if so does it work.

cheers

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gordonmc

Visit site
Hi again,

The exhaust position is a vexed issue. Wherever the skin fitting goes there should be room to put a swan-neck on the pipe to stop water going in. This means the fitting can't be at the highest point.
Walking around the marina, most boats seem to have their outlets either on the transom or on coamings. Our problem is that we can't hide the pipe inside a hollow void as we are dealing with solid wood coamings.
I agree... not easy.
I am actually looking for a wooden mast... the previous owner put an alloy one up which looks wrong, but is possibly more practical. It has roller reefing (foresail) and does work very well. The foresail tension is slacker than on most boats around and with a few rolls the set isn't at optimum for windward sailing. On a reach... no problem.This is 'cos I don't want to tighten the rigging hard. This isn't a real issue... Hillyard's aint exactly greyhounds. I know when stays are too tight because the heads door won't close!
Seriously, I do most of my sailing single handed and roller reefing makes for an easy life.

<hr width=100% size=1>

paulrossall

Visit site
Have you seen this?
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F29471>http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F29471</A>
Seems like a reasonable price. Paul

<hr width=100% size=1>" there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats".

AuntyRinum

Visit site
I have an Eberspacher in my Hillyard 12 Tonner with three outlets. I've been running it pretty well continuously since September and I've had no problems. In fact the ducts get quite warm, but not hot enough to burn and I think they are helping to keep the lockers aired.
The heating unit is fitted in the engine compartment, there is a short run of duct into the stern cabin. A long duct to the forepeak with a branch which outlets into the saloon. The exhaust is ducted slightly aft of the engine compartment and about 12" below the toerail. I've had no problem with the exhaust when mooring.
It all seems to work very well.

<hr width=100% size=1>

roly_voya

Visit site
Seams to be a popular thing to do, I have a 4.5kw hot air heater to fit in engine bay of center cockpit 32ft boat. Going for the fore and aft vents plus one in the forepeak with the option to ducting all the air flow to the forpeak so i can use it as a drying room! I was going to mount the exaust through cabin top using stove pipe deck plate and double chimeny - anyone tried this?

<hr width=100% size=1>