Eberspacher Airtronic D5 winning sound

LionsDen

www.bbiuk.com
High fellow forumites can any off you please advise what may be causing a whining sound when running my D5 over the last couple of days or could it be that it is just really cold outside at the moment and this sound will go away when the outdoor temperature starts to rise a little - No fault codes are showing on the digital readout btw.

It even happens when swmbo is not on board so I have counted her out for this exercise :D

Many thanks - Terry

Last edited:

superheat6k

Visit site
My D4 was making a strange noise recently after a long period without a run. Turned out to be some water that had found its way into the inlet duct. I let it run a within a few minutes the noise went away.

I ran it again yesterday and it was fine.

A good site for eberspacher advice is http://www.letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk/

David2452

Visit site
Also check that the inlet silencer (if fitted) has not come off, not sure about spraying WD in there, it will wind up on the heat exchanger and stink the boat out, if it is the fan bearings it will not get to them anyway, that will require a strip down.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Hi there Terry. I didn't hear it when I was onboard in Lymington.

Fan bearings can be noisy at first then it goes away. We get that problem on tangential (footwell) motors in 3.2 Carrera 911s. More of a squeal rather than a whine.

I'm not so sure I would pull the unit apart given the potential for mixture of combustion gasses and warming air. Have someone come and service it. You may have a soot build up in there.

Henry :)

LionsDen

www.bbiuk.com
I'm always happy to hear a winning noise. A whining noise ---- now that's different.

Well spotted Norman :eek: - I have edited my post accordingly ;)

Rich from Kreuger has been on the boat and taken away the unit - knackered fan bearings - dry as a bone - hopefully will be fitted back on the boat for friday's sail over to Cowes with new fan and fully serviced.

Cardo

www.yacht-tinkerbell.co.uk
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I think my Eber D2 has the same problem. A high pitched whine whilst it's running (more so in heater than just blower), which I'm pretty sure has been getting worse. It's getting to the stage where it's getting quite annoying when the heater's at full chat.

Terry, were they able to fix the bearings, or did they have to replace the blower motor?

alt

Visit site
It's the fan rubbing against the casing, probably.

Jiggle the unit and see if it makes a difference. It'll be obvious when your year is beside the unit, if that's what it is

Last edited:

LionsDen

www.bbiuk.com
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I think my Eber D2 has the same problem. A high pitched whine whilst it's running (more so in heater than just blower), which I'm pretty sure has been getting worse. It's getting to the stage where it's getting quite annoying when the heater's at full chat.

Terry, were they able to fix the bearings, or did they have to replace the blower motor?

Hi Buddy good to hear from you - are you still on your epic voyage with the missus.

You can not fix the bearings as this is like the main item of the unit so I replaced the blower and had the unit fully serviced for about £800 + vat or there about's.

D2 should be a lot more competitive to repair btw - alternatively if you are going to keep the boat why not upgrade to a bigger unit etc etc :encouragement:

Be good to catch up when you get back btw

BW

Terry

Cardo

www.yacht-tinkerbell.co.uk
Hi Buddy good to hear from you - are you still on your epic voyage with the missus.

You can not fix the bearings as this is like the main item of the unit so I replaced the blower and had the unit fully serviced for about £800 + vat or there about's.

D2 should be a lot more competitive to repair btw - alternatively if you are going to keep the boat why not upgrade to a bigger unit etc etc :encouragement:

Be good to catch up when you get back btw

BW

Terry

We're over wintering over in wet and windy Sicily! We'll be back in Blighty next winter. Will most likely put Tinkerbell back in the Solent somewhere, so we'll be locals once again.

A new blower is £166, so not too bad. With the money I've already spent on a new ECU, I could've had a whole new heater for only a couple hundred extra! I had considered a bigger heater, but I just don't think it's worth it for us. This one just about seems to keep up. And I don't think the boss would be too pleased if I suggested spending even more money on the heater situation!