Eberspacher 5 DL(C) controls conundrum on new (to me) boat..... which takes precedence?

JasonB

Visit site
This week, after many years being a dinghy dad we picked up a Fairline Corniche as a step back into motor boats.
LoughDerg.JPG

Being a 30 year old boat, not every manual has come with her (in fact there were a number of manuals for devices not on the boat!), and one comment on the heating from the previous owner was that it was intermittent, so I started investigating.

we appear to have a 301 control ( left for heating and right for ventilation and spin the dial for temp - I understand)
301.JPG

And a 401 Timer control - which as I read the manual, you can manually turn on the heating as well as set it to come on at intervals.

401.JPG

I managed to get the heating to run this evening, before the green light started flashing on the 301 ( low battery I understand?) and it went quiet.

But my conundrum is this - what is the relationship between the 401 timer and the 301 control?

Does the timer only work if the 301 is set to heat?

Does the timer work/turn on the heating irrespective of what the 301 is set to?

i.e. Does one override the other? Does one rely on the other?

I did find basic operation manuals online for both the 301 and 401, but nothing saying anything about combining them. Any help understanding what happens between them would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

J.

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
Congrats on the Corniche...looks very clean and tidy.
Presume a couple of either 165 HP or 200 HP Volvos ?
Loads of info on here about engines and gearboxes when you need it.

PCUK

Visit site
I must admit I have only ever had controller for my various boat's Eberspachers. If it were me I would get the wiring diagram and remove the smaller controller as the larger timer version does everything plus timing the heater on and off.

Reactions: NBs

TSB240

Visit site
Look at the Butler Technik Company based in Lincoln Uk. They are the company to go to and are very helpful if you ring them.
If you go on their website they have details of both of your controls which you can download. If you get really bored over Christmas you could read them.

I have no idea how yours are connected but I would guess that the rotary knob controller is basically acting as an adjustable remote thermostat fir heating or cooling.

Our boat just has a simple small square remote sensor that tells the heater what the room temperature is. This temperature is then displayed on our timer.

We have a similar but not identical timer control on which you manually start the heater by just pressing the on button and the heater indicator starts flashing.

You can set the heater to run for so many minutes or constant which is shown by an infinity symbol.

Similarly you can set the temperature with our timer so the heater slows down as it nears the set temperature.
I don't know if you can do this with yours?

I eventually found that ours can be programmed to be operated up to 3 times a day for 2 hours at a time.
I have mine set to come on fir two hours on a daily basis during this cold weather.

It gets complicated but you can have alternative settings for weekdays and weekends.

Steve

JasonB

Visit site
Thanks For all the replies.

She has the 200hp engines on shafts, with the dinette layout.

When I use the heating at the moment it seems to run for about 15 minutes and then stop without any flashing LEDs. I will check out that website and see if theres more info - thanks.

J.

NBs

Visit site
Hi,

my boat also has a D5 and only that simple heating thermostat.

Someone already mentioned to remove that simple one, I agree. It's hard to understand which of the thermostats is the master, because I don't think the D5 takes orders from both.

Maybe that simple one was just left in place when a new digital thermostat controller was installed where you can also control the fan without heating?

NBs

harvey38

Visit site
I have had a few issues with the same heater so I'm learning fast and would suggest the following-

Are the controllers in separate areas of the boat? The Eberspacher only has one, eight pin plug for the main controller and I would guess that is for the 401. There is a secondary grey cable from the main plug that can be used for another temperature sensor. I would open up the 301 and see what is connected. You may have a full suite as per the attached or just the red, black and grey, if the latter then you have power and grey is the temperature signal feed. Trace the loom back from each controller to the heater to see what is actually connected up.

I have found the staff at Butler Technik super helpful ?

Attachments

• 20221017_125943_resize_20.jpg
    20221017_125943_resize_20.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 16

PCUK

Visit site

JasonB

Visit site
see what is connected. You may have a full suite as per the attached or just the red, black and grey, if the latter then you have power and grey is the temperature signal feed. Trace the loom back from each controller to the heater to see what is actually connected up.
I have found the staff at Butler Technik super helpful ?
Thanks for that ,

The 301 is at a better height for temp - the 401 is right at the ceiling so hopefully the 301 is connected that way - I will check that out.

I dont think the heater has been serviced in a good while so I will have a chat with Butlers first, but I imagine I will be doing a service and see how that pans out.

One night it was due to get down to 1 degree so I stayed on board to see what the temps on board were ( it never went below 5 degrees in either the engine bay or lazerette).

But as a byproduct of that - I turned on the heating the following morning and, rather than the heat only lasting for 8 minutes ( the normal amount of time before the flashing green light comes on), it lasted for a good 30 minutes. So, i'm not 100% how to interpret that - Apart from suspecting the unit is actually overheating, it just took longer on a colder morning than on a 10 degree day. I'll see what Butlers say.

JasonB

Visit site
I'll see what Butlers say.
They agreed that the light sequence was indicating overheating. one of the issues could have been that the blower motor wasnt up to scratch any more, testing with Multimeters and harness was probably in order...

Long story short - I think I may have that issue sorted more simply - there was a cover not attached properly.

in the photo below, the cable harness cover, circled in red, is correctly secured with the single allen bolt ( red arrow). Mine was left hanging off, I presume someone had been looking at an issue and never put it back on. I secured that cover with the allen bolt and she ran last night for an hour without issue. Now just the small matter of a service I would guess.

EB side view.JPG