Ebay, Ebay, Ebay

Sans Bateau

Visit site
Is it because there is some pecuniary advantage? Are there pennies passed between coffers for hitting on certain links?

I think that one of the mods has already said that this isn't a democracy, and that IPC will do as it pleases, and as they are paying for the forums, we the humble participants have no say in anything.:(

I would urge my fellow forum members to send Ebay links to Coventry, don't click on them, not even out of curiosity.

Look at that! Thats two of us agreeing with you! The forum will never be the same again.:D

C

Chrusty 1

Look at that! Thats two of us agreeing with you! The forum will never be the same again.:D

You is just trying to undermine me reputation!;):)

I think boycotting Ebay links might be the way to go, but it's getting our fellow forumites on side with it, that's the problem.

StoicWarrior

Visit site
... Why? Because that's Ebay's purpose and it works. Surely, not a revelation, that. Bigger market, more viewers, better search, auction & offers allowed, no arbitrary limit, not bogged down in chat, ... for myself, I posted more than a dozen things here and only sold one ... posted the same dozen on EBay and sold half of them.

Selling here - like other narrowly focused self-interest forums - has become a secondary outlet to bigger, better, more focused methods of selling. Again, not a revelation.

If YBW did not allow Ebay or other external listings I'd wager this sub-forum would soon disappear completely. That's the way it is ...

Sans Bateau

Visit site
and everyone knows how to find Ebay if thats their choice, please, no one is stopping anyone using it.

This forum is as you say is a sub forum which has worked very well for years trading unwanted items amongst fellow members. It is though becoming a shop front for Ebay, if I want to buy from Ebay then thats were I will look, if you want to sell on Ebay, go sell there, but I nor other wish to know about it here.

sailorman

Visit site
... Why? Because that's Ebay's purpose and it works. Surely, not a revelation, that. Bigger market, more viewers, better search, auction & offers allowed, no arbitrary limit, not bogged down in chat, ... for myself, I posted more than a dozen things here and only sold one ... posted the same dozen on EBay and sold half of them.

Selling here - like other narrowly focused self-interest forums - has become a secondary outlet to bigger, better, more focused methods of selling. Again, not a revelation.

If YBW did not allow Ebay or other external listings I'd wager this sub-forum would soon disappear completely. That's the way it is ...

I disagree
i buy & sell here & ebay
i do not mix the two
many on ebay get carried away i put an old life raft on there that was perfectly ok servicer 12 months previous. i hoped to get £150 it made £340 + del, staggering

paulieraw

I Live near Cambridge and sail the wash and east c
Visit site

It is narrowly focused but look at the membership, this is not some little forum kept going by 2 or 3 people, it oftten has 1000 or more on line at any one time and peaked at a figure most websites dont see in a month.

This will survive very well without ebay thank you and work better for it. I like sailorman use both but dont mix.

sailorman

Visit site
It is narrowly focused but look at the membership, this is not some little forum kept going by 2 or 3 people, it oftten has 1000 or more on line at any one time and peaked at a figure most websites dont see in a month.

This will survive very well without ebay thank you and work better for it. I like sailorman use both but dont mix.

There are some extremely rich folk here & others who get by but all are into their boating.
others use this Forum as a sales outlet & do not contribute in any other way end of :mad:

PaulGooch

www.boat-fishing.co.cc

Perhaps i should put all my cars on here, you all need cars to get to your boats.

Oh, over the forum limit. Well they are all listed on Ebay, should i link to them here, i could call them "boat getter toers" or something, to keep within the rules.

This forum is supposed to be a community affair, not a shop front for Ebay sellers who otherwise contribute naff all.

EDIT, after typing the above i checked your stats, perfect example of what many are talking about here. You have not posted on the forum since 2008, then you pop up with a slew of Ebay links. Never mind the forum disappearing without Ebay links, the whole place would be dead if it only had members like you.

Last edited:

PaulGooch

www.boat-fishing.co.cc
Don't be shy with the abuse, everyone likes to read it, brightens the day up.

Don't PM me, keep your comments on the forum please.

And the chip on your shoulder, Paul, is - what?

And the chip on your shoulder, Paul, is - what? You sound like you are taking my comment personally, and the fact that I haven't posted lately as some slap. Get a life, old boy.

I'm sending this to you directly rather than on the thread because I won't burden the thread with personal attacks or what I think of you & some of your 3000+ incessantly nattering posts since 2009, Newbie. Indeed, I don't think of you at all. Just sod off quietly. That's a good fella.

My reply didn't consist of much, but ended in .......off :D

StoicWarrior

Visit site
And that, fellow sailors, is why internet trolls like Goochie are more of a threat on forums like this than any healthy debate about the allowance or restriction of something as mundane as Ebay, for they promote disharmony and feed on it.

You know what to do with a troll ... Ignore him ... Don't feed his need to be obnoxious and abusive.

PaulGooch

www.boat-fishing.co.cc
And that, fellow sailors, is why internet trolls like Goochie are more of a threat on forums like this than any healthy debate about the allowance or restriction of something as mundane as Ebay, for they promote disharmony and feed on it.

You know what to do with a troll ... Ignore him ... Don't feed his need to be obnoxious and abusive.

:D:D Given your private message to me, that's pretty funny.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Perhaps i should put all my cars on here, you all need cars to get to your boats.

Oh, over the forum limit. Well they are all listed on Ebay, should i link to them here, i could call them "boat getter toers" or something, to keep within the rules.

This forum is supposed to be a community affair, not a shop front for Ebay sellers who otherwise contribute naff all.

From the Forum rules (posted at the top)

2. You MAY post links to auction websites. This allows users who want to sell products over the limit to do so in a secure environment (for the buyer and the seller). However, we will still not allow links to BOATS FOR SALE (except tenders), whether that be on auction sites or otherwise.

Time to stop this 'holier than thou' anti-eBay crusade, I think. People living in glass houses and all that.
eBay links are supposed to be mentioned in the subject - don't want to read the thread? Don't click on it.

And in view of the rule quoted above, will you be changing your signature - or is that part of the forum community spirit?

C

Chrusty 1

From the Forum rules (posted at the top)

Time to stop this 'holier than thou' anti-eBay crusade, I think. People living in glass houses and all that.
eBay links are supposed to be mentioned in the subject - don't want to read the thread? Don't click on it.

And in view of the rule quoted above, will you be changing your signature - or is that part of the forum community spirit?

It aint holier than thou, it's called democracy, if you don't like it don't click on the postings about it..............

This forum was never intended to be a free shop window for ebay sellers, some of them are just taking the piss. Goochy's signature has bog all to do with it, in any case, the mods seem happy enough with that, as very many members do it.

It's been said by many, that they are not happy for the forum to be used in this way by ebay sellers, some of them contribute naff all to the forums, they just post links to what they currently want to flog off. I wonder how many of these sellers realise the sales potential they loose by linking stuff to ebay that is within the forum limit, speaking for myself, I wont even look at those items, not even if it's something I could find useful, I just walk on by, I wonder how many other people do the same?

I would suggest that it would be better for those that wish to sell something on this forum, that is within the forum rules price wise, to post it here first, and if it doesn't sell, then stick it on ebay.

CaptainBob

www.yacht-forum.co.uk
I have no problem at all with ebay links in the for sale forum. I think it makes sense to have them there.

I've sold on the forum with/without ebay connections - and bought with/without similiarly. I've recently been selling a lot of stuff (about 20 items) because I finally got round to a big clearout of the attic.

Some items just don't have that big of a market and linking up YBW forums with an ebay ad definitely helps to increase the exposure. People seem to browse the For Sale forum on here just out of interest - difficult to do that on ebay as there's too much to browse.

And when you browse on here, you're looking at a filtered selection of Ebay items - not ALL of them - and it's a selection offered by registered forum users which almost invariably seem to have excellent ebay feedback and if they also have made a good number of YBW posts, the feeling of safety about any transaction with them is enhanced somewhat.

Sometimes when I've linked to an ebay ad I've also linked back to YBW (sometimes to say item for sale elsewhere, sometimes to say if you need advice check here), so the benefit can be mutual.

Do bare in mind that if something is listed in here and in ebay, it is easy to agree a sale in here and end the ebay listing. I did that two days ago, selling a chart for less than the ebay fixed price I'd listed it for.

Also note that listing in here, with a photo or 3, is very hard for most people. If you list on ebay for a mere £0.20 or whatever it is you can quickly put together a clear description of your item(s) so a link from YBW to ebay can then simply be used to get a clearer idea across of what it is exactly you're selling.

So my vote is to allow ebay links - keeping the subject line stipulation in place so that if you're anti-ebay you don't have to waste your time clicking through.