Easyreef In-mast Furling

Sunny_Jim

Visit site
Has anybody got experience of installing/using "Easyreef" In-mast Furling gear - preferably with a "Maxiroach" vertically battened Mainsail?

G

I have one installed on a Moody 37, but when I bought a new sail last year, I decided against the maxiroach and renewed battenless....

G

Be very wary with easy reef. I do not have one but many people in my marina do. The actual product is very good (so i am told) but the service from the company is often very very poor. I have actually seen a sail being installed and found it incrediable the way they treated the customer. Also just about everybody in my marina that has it installed will never go back to the company due to the service offered.

I have been told that team who work on the mast are very very good but the man who installs the sails (company owner i think) is often very rude and unhelpful.
So if you don't mind the service then go for it as the product is actually very good.

oldsalt

Visit site
I've heard a couple of stories where the sail had to be reefed/removed using a Stanley knife following a jam....

Use single line slab reefing and a stack-pack.

cynthia

Visit site
Sorry, I thought I'd posted a reply to this! Probably got lost on some other thread.

We have an EasyReach vertical battened sail. It is excellent, replacing the power lost because of the inmast furling system. It is simple and easy to use and has never jammed.

Whilst we did not fit the furling gear - it came with the Seldon mast from new, the sail was remarkably easy to fit. The service we received was excellent. The sail originally arrived with the bolt rope too tight for the mast groove. I returned it to EasyReach on a Monday evening - it arrived back on Wednesday morning, complete with new bolt rope.

I have no commercial interest in this firm, being merely a satisfied customer, but I do wonder about the validity of 'I hear that....' and 'I have been told that...' type of contributions.

Sunny_Jim

Visit site
Thanks for reply received whilst I was on the boat. I note your enthusiasm and hope that it will work as well for me.

When actually did you get your sail?

Sunny_Jim

Visit site
Thanks for comment. I've got stacker on the mizzen but dodgy knee and other infirmities mean I don't want to go up to the mainmast in rough weather any more.

Your stanley knife user must have had very long arms to reach up to the mast-head - sounds like b-s to me

Regards

Sunny_Jim

Visit site
Thanks for your comment. But was it specifically "EASYREEF" proprietary system with the recommended "MAXIROACH" fully battened mainsail on your charter boat? There are lots of in-mast systems and some are better than others as I hear.

I am interested in just this one system.

Regards

Sunny_Jim

Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I posted my original because I had the most bizarre experience with the proprietor also and just couldn't believe what was happening to me. I won't bore you with the details but I would urge anyone thinking of purchase from this company to resist their demand to pay the balance of money in advance of receiving both the installation of the tracks etc and delivery of a working sail if ordered at the same time. That this is the company practice does not make it in the customer's interest. Negotiate a retainer against final delivery of a satisfactory product. Keep a watchful eye on the track installation and double check the sail dimensions and everything else before the proprietor leaves the site.

Basil Fawlty clearly lives and now sells furling sails!

Regards