Eastern Solent

MADFISH

Visit site
I am going sailing for the week next week with my wife and 18 month old son, starting with a club rally to Itchenor SC in Chichester. Thing is my wife wants to stay in the Eastern Solent as we have never explored it much. I'm more up for going west.

Obviously she will win this one so with this in mind what are the good places to go and the things to avoid? Only places I have been down that way are Bembridge (great place) and Haslar Marina (Lightship food hit and miss).

<hr width=100% size=1>

Little_Russel

Visit site
If the weather is settled you could anchor in Priory Bay and walk up to the hotel for lunch. Very pleasant. Also, off Seaview, there are visitors buoys and the club launch will take you ashore. The Seaview Hotel is worth a visit.

<hr width=100% size=1>Sail the Se7en seas...

oldharry

Visit site
For a day on the beach go round the corner to Whitecliff Bay between Bembridge and Sandown - but only if the winds in the west as its and open bay anchorage. The kids will love the sandy beach (and ice Cream shop), but work the tides which run hard going round Bembridge Ledge, and dont be tempted to cut inside the Ledge Buoy even if the locals do.

Priory Bay and Seaview as mentioned above are great. Chichester Harbour (if you can dodge the dinghy races in the main channels) has many lovely corners , many with decent pubs attached, although most of them dry at around half tide (the creeks, not the pubs!). Dell Quay, Bosham Creek with King Canutes Church, Emsworth, and Langstone Bridge, all well worth a visit, while the Thorney Channel under Pilsea Island affords a much quieter nights anchorage than the main one at East Head, which affords far and away the best beach in the harbour, so can get very busy. Lots to see and do.

Have fun!

<hr width=100% size=1>

MADFISH

Visit site
Thanks everybody. Keep them coming. I'm starting to warm to the idea now. Can't believe that after 25 years of sailing in the area I have never explored much east of Ryde!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Evadne

Visit site
If you can sit in the mud then Wooton Creek is highly recommended as a quiet berth in the country with a nice view, a friendly sailing club that does lovely grub, and a nice pub up the road as well. We went there at neaps and it wasn't too bad in a 4'2" draught long-keeler.
Dave

<hr width=100% size=1>

Andy_H

Visit site
Hi Russell
You can easily spend a nice few days in Chichester Harbour.
Itchenor is very nice, with good pub food - Can't remeber the name of the pub though, but it's the only one so you can't miss it.
During the week, it should be fairly quiet anchored off East Head, although it can be pretty manic at week-ends.
Suggest you try Bosham Quay. You can dry out by the wall there. Pub not so good though (Anchor Bleu!!!).
There is also a visitors pontoon in the Emsworth Channel, about half a mile from the jetty. You will be afloat at all times, but can only get ashore easily at high water, otherwise it's a treck across a muddy causeway.
When you want a bit of civilisation, try Chichester Yacht Basin. Nice spot, with lots of nice walks nearby. The Spinnaker restaurant is a bit pricey for what is basically pub food, but the pub at Dell Quay (about a mile?) is not bad.
Back in The Solent, Bembridge, as you say is pretty good, especiaaly during the week.
If the weather turns for the worse, Port Solent is not a bad spot, with plenty of eateries, good chandlery, decent showers and a cinema.
Have fun.
Andy
ps. Make sure Emma has a good time; I've got to work with her when you get back!

<hr width=100% size=1>