East Head, Chichester Harbour

BrendanS

Visit site
I sent you a PM (flashing Icon next to 'Main Index' at top left of page) a while back offering to put your map up for you. Did you not receive it?

The image needs to be on the internet, not on your computer. You then use markup tags, as shown in 'Help/FAQs' at top right of page

<hr width=100% size=1>Me transmitte sursum, caledoni

oldharry

Visit site
MMM - nice! Thanks. But looking at the dunes on the river bend above the moorings, there is a dark patch of shrubs in your picture, and to my certain knowledge the river has cut at least 150m towards the sea at that point, while the seaward edge of the dunes has receded by at least 100 metres, in the last 50 years. at that rate the Nevern will break through in around the next 25 - 30 years. The Southern tip of the dunes pointing towards Parrog has also receded by much the same distance.

Lovely place! But only for small boats: I used to take a 22 footer in there back in the 80s, and later a 24 footer motor sailer - which used to cause quite a stir. On one occasion when I was very late in on the tide, I won a round of applause from the Yacht Club as I grounded right alongside the temporary mooring I had laid in the upper pool near the clubhouse!

One of those rare sailing occasions when it went all perfectly...

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site
Used to go out of there in a 20' Shetland cabin thingy which was great fun.

My memory only goes back 35 odd years, but can't remember a huge change in the topography of the estuary during that time. It did used to vary year on year, as big storms would change the shape of the beach (and expose old shell beds) and then put them back again 12 months later!.

My father though has a collection of photos going back at least that long if not longer. I'll see if I can dig them out. This photo was taken from top of Carningli as you can probably guess, and pretty sure Dad will have similar, so would be fun to compare them if I can find them

oldharry

Visit site
One clear recollection I have from the early/ mid 50s is that the sea was not visible from the beach car park below the golf club as it is now, and that the track through the dunes to the open beach was in the order of 200 feet or more. I agree entirely about the way the beach changes. The last time I was there, the level at the northern end had risen by some 3- 4 feet, and the LWS level consequently much further out into the bay. 50 years ago there was virtually no beach below the cliffs north of the car park - in '02 there was a quite broad strip of sand. along there.

But the most significant change is the drop in the water level of the Nevern. In the early 50s at LW is was a deep fast running river, with only three possible fording points, and generally at least a foot more water coming down than now even in high summer.

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site
Re: Map of changes

12026973-L.jpg