East Coast Sailing

Gin

Visit site
No offence taken, or even seen, far less meant in anything I have said- so apologies too if I have 'mispoken'.

Not everyone when they first get going has a wide circle of yottie friends, hence my extolling the virtues of club life- this is only my view and wasn't meant to be the only route, just a comment for a newcomer.

The other bit about travel was that every Friday night I would have a thrash down to Gosport- 2.5 hours and a similar return journey late Sunday night- that rather took the edge off the weekend sometimes and particularly the return bit.

My return journey to Medway is now 78 miles- 45 minutes each way and much more acceptable but the fact remains around here that club moorings at about £300 pa plus club membership at £120 and no extras, free scrubbing off, power, and water, represents a great deal and much better than some of the other nearby clubs and certainly much, much, better than the cost, and in my opinion the impersonality of the two marinas nearby.

ditchcrawler

Visit site
I lived in St Albans & when I bought my first proper boat(as opposed to dinghy) i looked round the areas to sail & keep a boat.I had chartered & raced in the Solent area & south coast.In terms of travelling the east coast was best & I ended up in a marina on the Blackwater for 7 years..This is a great area to sail as others have said.When I retired I moved to Suffolk & moved my boat to the Deben(Tide Mill).This is very picturesqe but I found the restrictions re tide limiting for access,& having put my name down for a berth on the Orwell when we moved,I managed to get in there this year.This has been fine for me as I have 24 hr access & I can go out for a few hours at any time.
There are plenty of places for a day sail in the area that have been mentioned & Belgium & Holland are not far.I wouldn't exchange my sailing area for the south coast,but each to his own.

Cobra

Visit site
Karl

If you REALLY want to pay through the nose for your East Coast sailing, then without a doubt, the Crouch, Blackwater and Orwell will definitely suit you down to the ground!

Don't completely rule out the Colne (yes...I am biased!)...we benefit from masses of REALLY gloopy mud, accessible moorings, one of the best Harbour Masters on the East Coast (possibly even in the South of England!), and your mooring costs will be less than certain other ditches!!

As accessible from Hertfordshire as the other East Coast Rivers, and probably the best Indian Restaurant on the East Coast!

BUT where ever you choose it will be far better than anywhere on the South Coast!!

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
Just to clarify Endymion_of_Colne's post
[ QUOTE ]

we benefit from masses of REALLY gloopy mud, accessible moorings, the best Harbour Master on the East Coast (and in all England!), and your mooring costs will be less than certain other ditches!!

the best Indian Restaurant on the East Coast!

BUT where ever you choose it will be far better than anywhere on the South Coast!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Gin

Visit site
I agree with you unreservedly about the Essex/Suffolk sailing environment and I wasn't advocating OpsGuy1979 to hack around the M25 to get to Kent. I was trying to say take into account the journey time and the resultant tedium, week in week out.

Indeed for me, whilst I'm fond of my club/sailing companions, Medway is far from pretty but it does have its attractions and it is convenient for me.It's horses for courses really

When my second and last offspring finishes 6th form in 2010 then I shall be looking to move home and boat and the most obvious first consideration will be on t'other side of the Thames.

The key will be where I can find a property I like, close to sailing I shall enjoy and without involving me in even the modest amount of driving I now must do- my ideal would be to be able to walk to the boat, that will solve the decision making to a large extent

Slow_boat

My own cosy little world where nice things happen
Visit site
I live two hours from both South and East coast. I couldn't possibly aford to keep a boat on the south coast, even on a half tide mooring on a mudbank in the middle of Portsmouth harbour. Apart from which, that's where I grew up. It's to crowded and gentrified now.

East coast, I pay less than £400 pa for half-tide mooring, river licence and club fees, including lift in and out, dinghy and winter storage ashore.

Living so far away I have to plan my sailing, so half tide isn't a problem and as I'm tied to set days off, being up a river is fine as pre-sail checks can be done whilst chugging down the river and if it's to windy to go to sea, I can have a pleasant couple of days in the rivers.

Okay, the water's brown and there's not a lot of it (it's deeper in the river than out at sea. It's very strange to run aground out of sight of land) but away from marinas (and in marinas, for all I know) it's very much more PBO than yachting World, which for me is a definate plus.

Mudplugger

Visit site
The new Town Plan for Wivenhoe., isn,t going to allow any more development! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif So, don,t even think about it! walking to your boat!! that,s just for the cognoscenti! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

PeterWright

Visit site
Before I get branded a complete outcast I must say I agree with most of what others have said about the East Coast.

I just get a bit fed up with khaki colored water...
And it would be nice if it was a bit warmer...
Anywhere more than 4 degrees west in England (or Wales) is just wet all summer! If you head west, you need to turn left round Ushant to get any decent weather and that's only in the summer.

Peter.

snowbird30ds

Norfolk broads based, coast when time allows.
Visit site
Hi Karl
Before parting with your boat have you considered a season on the broads? You can still go to sea easy enough and check out the East Coast that way and still do river based pub trips.
I left great ouse in 2012 with a RLM31 and cruised round to broads via wells and spent a few years with it doing east coast when time and weather allowed and pub crawling the southern broads the rest of the time, now have a princess 30ds for a better turn of speed and ride and still enjoying it.
Your princess will do sea.

Yes but the climate has changed since this thread was started -------2008!
Bugger missed that bit.... :oops:

Last edited:

Tomahawk

Visit site
Before I get branded a complete outcast I must say I agree with most of what others have said about the East Coast.

I just get a bit fed up with khaki colored water...
And it would be nice if it was a bit warmer...

What you have to appreciate about khaki coloured water is that it separates the men from boys.. what may look nice and friendly oft turns out to be a rather unforgiving sandbank..