East Coast regalvanised

G

Which is more than we can say for this nut-house at the moment.

To all the real Scuttlebutters still out there - where can I get my anchor chain re-galvanised in this neck of the woods?

Thanks in advance.

John S

PS Ian, if you're still listening - get me on the Heybridge Herring Eating team next year. I heard the Dutch beat you something like 51 to 31 - I reckon I can put 15 away easily !!! So you only need a 6er and we've won !!

G

>PS Ian, if you're still listening - get me on the Heybridge Herring Eating team next year. I heard the Dutch beat you something like 51 to 31 - I reckon I can put 15 away easily !!! So you only need a 6er and we've won !! < Consider it done,,,,,, E-mail me and I'll get on to it,,, better still buy me a beer and I'll nominate you for team Captain.

Ian ;)

G

Another possibility, a little further away..

Medway Galvanising Co of Sittingbourne (tel 01795 479489) have done a hot dip & spin of calibrated chain for me, without problem. The cost was about one-third of new chain. The chain must not be painted or deep pitted with rust.

G

I once had a mast galvanised at Witham, very well too. failing that Gt Yarmouth is good and will do small items though there is a minimum charge of about £50. On the other hand a fiver to the foreman...!

And as for herring. A breakfast of a dozen was commonplace among the fishermen at Lowestoft. One of my uncles once landed 31 cran of herring on the 31 of October. It was his 31st birthday and the price he got for the fish was 31 shillings a cran. So he ate 31 herring at a sitting.

They used to put them flat on the top of the old coal range, and always eat herring with your fingers because they are more sensitiver to the bones.

And the plural of herring is herring.

G

Re: East Coast regalvanising

John, the best place for galvanising is Par Galvanising in Rayleigh. They will do small jobs if you talk to them nicely, and they will (reluctantly) do chain. However, they do not have the equipment to shake off all the little nodules of zink so you may have problems if you want to use the chain in a windlass. If you use a windlass you need a galvaniser with a "spinner" or "shaker" device, but you may then find that the price will be very close to buying new chain!

Otherwise, I beleive there is a galvaniser in Witham (can't remember name) but I have heard that they are not interested in small jobs.