Easiest swap for MD2B

coopec

N/A
Visit site

jakeroyd

Visit site
Welcome back Dylan.
Nice to see you on here again.
I do see the attraction of a Fisher 25 , a dose of something similar to 'Centaurness' with a top on for when it's grim.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
I think it's a bit of a red herring to think that all VPs are compatible. As far as I know, VP no longer manufacture complete engines as in the MD1 days, they use industrial engines as a base and fit the marinisation parts so there is no reason a new VP engine should fit an old VP mount.
The usual recommendation for engine replacement is a Beta or Nanni which I think are based on Kubota engines with in house marine parts such as heat exchanger and wet exhaust. I've no experience of Nanni but have been to Beta's factory in Gloucester when a friend bought one of their units. Their staff were extremely helpful and he managed to get a free set of Beta red overalls thrown into the deal. He's got a 3 cylinder 20 hp I think and it's wonderfully smooth and quiet. Beta will supply adapters to fit it to the existing mounts.

Tranona

Visit site
Any of the modern engines will fit but you will need to modify the beds and replace items such as propeller exhaust controls etc which are either incompatible or worn out. Budget £5-6k for something like a Beta 25 and parts plus. £1500+ for professional installation.

Tranona

Visit site
Not surprising for an engine that went out of production nearly 40 years ago.

It really is not a problem fitting a modern engine. Thousands of boats have had it done and new engines are far superior..

You do tend to see problems that are not there.

Topcat47

Visit site
Hi Dylan,

Beta will do you a replacement engine to fit the beds. If the original Volvo is raw water cooled though, you will need to install the FW gubbins as well. Be aware that the old Volvos had "wrong" handed props, so even if you can retain the stern gear, you will need to re-prop. My new prop cost me ~ £300, not inconsiderable but a drop in the ocean compared with the overall cost of a new engine. I did not have a new shaft, but made a spacer and fitted two flexible couplings which easily took up the extra space.

Don't be put off by the Fisher 25 gainsayers. I'm getting on a bit and they're beginning to look quite attractive although I do love my old Nic....

Bajansailor

Visit site
Is this the boat that you have in mind (re the MD2B)?
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1976/Fisher-25-3105073

Here is one for sale in Wales with a 2 cylinder Yanmar
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1980/Fisher-25-3108258/Aberdovey/United-Kingdom

A bit 'left field' now, but do you need all the accommodation available in the 'standard' Fisher 25?
If not, then how about one of the Potters?
This one looks lovely - ok, she is in the USA, but they mention that she has a 'larger' engine (no details though)
http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/67009

Or this one in Ipswich - she has a (somewhat newer) Volvo 2003 engine
http://www.boatersresources.com/bfs_detail.php?adid=425013

Or this one in Ireland which has a raw water cooled (not a good selling point?) Volvo MD-17C
http://yachts.apolloduck.ie/boat.phtml?id=543247

DownWest

Visit site
Dylan, a friend bought an overhauled MD2B that was never refitted. He intended to install it in his pinky ketch, but lost the boat after a collision.
If interested, PM me.

Heckler

Visit site
I am looking at another Fisher 25 with an MD2B engine... so far in working condition

Is there a more modern volvo that fits the same engine mounts for when replacement becomes necessary

Dylan

Dylan
in the nicest possible way, stop fixating about the donks! Look at them, are they clean and tidy? Do they start easily from cold and dont rattle and clank when warm? If all ok, buy it and forget it. Just because you had a bad experience with a "dog" doesnt mean they are all going to bite you!
Stu

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
Seconded!

An engine is a fairly simple thing, especially the types under discussion. Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow-as the Bishop said to the actress!

I have a boat with an old Bukh DV20.

Last year I pulled the pistons out and freed off stuck and corroded rings, due to a salt water ingress problem caused by lack of maintainence by previous owner.

Apart from the gaskets, all other parts were re-used, including the pistons and big end shells.

It started and ran after, albeit reluctantly and with white smoke.

An injector nozzle replacement fixed that, now it runs and behaves perfectly.

If the engine is in good working order, no knocks and untoward noises, no overheating or smoke, the fuel system and filters are clean and leak free, all should be well.

If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Heckler

Visit site
Seconded!

An engine is a fairly simple thing, especially the types under discussion. Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow-as the Bishop said to the actress!

I have a boat with an old Bukh DV20.

Last year I pulled the pistons out and freed off stuck and corroded rings, due to a salt water ingress problem caused by lack of maintainence by previous owner.

Apart from the gaskets, all other parts were re-used, including the pistons and big end shells.

It started and ran after, albeit reluctantly and with white smoke.

An injector nozzle replacement fixed that, now it runs and behaves perfectly.

If the engine is in good working order, no knocks and untoward noises, no overheating or smoke, the fuel system and filters are clean and leak free, all should be well.

If it aint broke, dont fix it.
Just done another job on a Maestro/ Perkins Prima50/ VP MD22. Head off, bit of corrosion near No 4 cylinder so valves out and head skimmed, pistons out, bore honed, well within spec so just new rings fitted. Scrape some carbon out of the two top lands and the piston tops. The head skimming shop, run by a serious craftsman, actually said, bores ok? they always are in that engine! Fitted new big end shells, only because I had disturbed them getting the pistons out. Total cost? Head skim £30, rings £20 ish, shells £20 ish, gaskets £20 ish Head skim E R Williams, Rhostyllen near Wrexham, he also grinds cranks, makes valve guides, proper machine shop. Parts from www.parts4engines.com

Just_sayin'

Arrived. But thinking of a bit more east.
Visit site

Tranona

Visit site
Just done another job on a Maestro/ Perkins Prima50/ VP MD22. Head off, bit of corrosion near No 4 cylinder so valves out and head skimmed, pistons out, bore honed, well within spec so just new rings fitted. Scrape some carbon out of the two top lands and the piston tops. The head skimming shop, run by a serious craftsman, actually said, bores ok? they always are in that engine! Fitted new big end shells, only because I had disturbed them getting the pistons out. Total cost? Head skim £30, rings £20 ish, shells £20 ish, gaskets £20 ish Head skim E R Williams, Rhostyllen near Wrexham, he also grinds cranks, makes valve guides, proper machine shop. Parts from www.parts4engines.com

While you may be able to do that sort of thing with an automotive based engine that was built in huge quantities and in production until quite recently, try getting soares for a 40 year out of production marine engine that was built in hundreds rather than thousands and the numbers still running are tiny.

Talk to those who have tried to do major work on such engines and seen their potential bills approach the cost of a new engine.

So, while you may be able to keep a good one running for many years, particularly if you can stop it corroding away and run it hard and frequently, once anything major goes it is dead.

At least the Fisher, whatever you think of it has a value that justifies a new engine and later models were fitted with a Yanmar 3GM so nothing difficult about fitting a modern engine.