Earthrace. What is the point?

Norman_E

Visit site
Just seen a website on Earthrace, which is a currently attempting to beat the 75 day motorboat circumnavigation record via the Suez and Panama canals. I seem to remember Day Mellon did it the hard way via the Southern Ocean in less than 72 days without an engine. Earthrace may run on biodiesel, but will burn thousands of gallons of it, so its not very environmentally friendly, as well as probably being slower than sail.

flaming

Visit site
Yet more proof that stinkies are inferior in every possible way! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

flaming

Visit site
I was well aware of the other thread, and the incident.

If you can't see my comment as the tongue in cheek joke it clearly is then you have no moral right to be out in public.

Bajansailor

Visit site
They are now claiming that the fishing boat they hit was un-lit - yet in previous reports they said it had a (red and white?) flashing light ........ methinks that somebody is not telling the truth somewhere along the line....

I would have thought that if they really want to go for this record, the logical thing to do would be to start from scratch again, eg from San Diego. But no, as far as I understand they are going to carry on and try and make up lost time along the way, and still try to beat the 75 day record.
Does not make sense to me.

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
Presumably the usual reason why people do these stunts ... somebody's making some money at it. e.g. Tony Bullimore, Tim Severin, anyone who walks to the North Pole sponsored by a bank (or more normally, fails to walk to the North Pole) .... as long as someone stumps up the cash with a bit left over for the guy who thought it up then someone's going to make a living doing it.

Bajansailor

Visit site
Yes, the report does appear to be now blaming the 'un-lit' (it was lit with a flashing light in earlier reports...) fishing skiff for getting in their way, and mashing up the prop(s) as said props tried to chew their way through it.
No wonder the props didnt feel very well afterwards.

flaming

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you have no moral right to be out in public.

[/ QUOTE ]

I rest my case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your case is rubbish.

kingfisher

Visit site
So
some git is trying to prove that biofuel is slower than windpowered vessels?

And during this brainless adventure hits and kills an innocent bystander (like during other pointless motorsports such as rallies)

and still continuous?!? And we are to take the fact that they won't cancel their challenge even after having killed somebody as a mark of sportsmanship?

Give the man a cigar! Pointless. Oh, and by the way: a "race" requires competitors.

flaming

Visit site
And even that analogy isn't quite right. as rally spectators knew there was a rally and turned up to watch! This was just some poor bloke going about his day to day business.

I could only see the point in this if it was going to be significantly faster than the outright sailing record. And to carry on now...... Well if they hit anyone else they have to be more or less guilty of murder surely.