Earning a crust while crusing europe - internet based question

Visit site
The current virus concentrates the mind on how fragile our comfortable existence is and that we should have taken the chances when they arose (which we didn't pre kids)

Now mid 50's and thinking about getting away.........

We are accountants/tax type of people (both of us) and conceivable could carve out a client base that are happy to deal with us via email, skype and the work can be done remotely with a few laptops, some paper and a printer........

Has anyone acheived this - we would probably have to work maybe one day a week, maybe two, on average.; the key is decent wifi or mobile signal so we can work remotely. Keeping the wheels turning via email and phone is probably as important as the day sat actually earning the said crust.

We'd need a bigger boat (we sail a 32 footer) as we'll need more space for the office stuff.

I think we'd also be happy to curtail our "voyages" and the sailing periods to match the demands of earning so day sailing around the UK, or northern european coastline would be fine. Doing this will impact on our wealth when we are truly decrepit but I think a life well lived is better than one where you are able to sit decrepit on a larger hoard like an ageing dragon

Just wondered if anyone had experience of this and had an idea of wifi/mobile boosters to improve reception etc. Also posted in the scuttlebutt :)

many thanks

Sharky34

Visit site
The current virus concentrates the mind on how fragile our comfortable existence is and that we should have taken the chances when they arose (which we didn't pre kids)

We are accountants/tax type of people (both of us) and conceivable could carve out a client base that are happy to deal with us via email, skype and the work can be done remotely with a few laptops, some paper and a printer........

Has anyone acheived this - we would probably have to work maybe one day a week, maybe two, on average.; the key is decent wifi or mobile signal so we can work remotely. Keeping the wheels turning via email and phone is probably as important as the day sat actually earning the said crust.

We'd need a bigger boat (we sail a 32 footer) as we'll need more space for the office stuff.

I think we'd also be happy to curtail our "voyages" and the sailing periods to match the demands of earning so day sailing around the UK, or northern european coastline would be fine. Doing this will impact on our wealth when we are truly decrepit but I think a life well lived is better than one where you are able to sit decrepit on a larger hoard like an ageing dragon

Just wondered if anyone had experience of this and had an idea of wifi/mobile boosters to improve reception etc. Also posted in the scuttlebutt :)

many thanks
Are you not a little optimistic, that "getting away", anywhere, will be possible?

PlanB

Visit site
All comments assume coronavirus drama is over!
Certainly if you are going to want to do this, do it while you are young and fit enough. We took off in our mid-50s and by the time we got to 65 knew we couldn't have done it if we'd left it till then.
In our experience, marina wifi was always good enough for work purposes.
You have to be very realistic about your ability to get/keep clients if you are travelling - somehow it seems much more difficult.
You can also get back to base from the Med almost as fast as from UK/N Europe.
Don't sell the house! Although downsizing is OK.

Visit site
thanks @PlanB !

the point of earning is not to sell the house but to let it tick over and continue to get paid off so that we have something for decreptitude :) and to have a fall back position. It might be worth selling the main house and splitting into two smaller rental units - essentially so they keep paying capital off the mortgage.

I've just found some digital nomad facebook pages and sites so have started some research

I think we could keep about 1/3rd or even 50% of clients particularly as more and more are internet only and with a bit of a nudge - the trick will be getting the right size pot to give us a living whilst not overworking, but with a view to a bail out scenario so the work pot would have to be sufficient to maintain some form of land based lifestyle should we have to/choose to bail out of sailing/travel..........

getting new/replacement work might be interesting as everything comes from personal referral at the moment.......

can't just sit here getting older as you say, that would be terrible! By trying we lose nothing (except a bigger income) and I'd hate to miss what might be our last chance to try out the dream....

Wansworth

Visit site
You have to be established in your proposed new life before 65! Unless your Superman there seems to be waneing of strength!

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
You have to be established in your proposed new life before 65! Unless your Superman there seems to be waiting of strength!

77 still cruising and could still take up another interest.

It’s all about attitude and physical fitness rather than age.

Back to the OP’s question, is it feasible? Possibly but I would stress test it locally before casting off into the wide blue yonder and as I am sure you are both only too aware, earning in foreign jurisdictions can bring a whole new set of problems - not least from the locals who can resent foreigners muscling and stealing the crust from their mouths.

Nevertheless, best of luck with your dream and do keep all informed on how you get on.

From experience, 10 talk about it for everyone who does it.

Last edited:

goeasy123

Visit site
thanks @PlanB !

the point of earning is not to sell the house but to let it tick over and continue to get paid off so that we have something for decreptitude :) and to have a fall back position. It might be worth selling the main house and splitting into two smaller rental units - essentially so they keep paying capital off the mortgage.

I've just found some digital nomad facebook pages and sites so have started some research

I think we could keep about 1/3rd or even 50% of clients particularly as more and more are internet only and with a bit of a nudge - the trick will be getting the right size pot to give us a living whilst not overworking, but with a view to a bail out scenario so the work pot would have to be sufficient to maintain some form of land based lifestyle should we have to/choose to bail out of sailing/travel..........

getting new/replacement work might be interesting as everything comes from personal referral at the moment.......

can't just sit here getting older as you say, that would be terrible! By trying we lose nothing (except a bigger income) and I'd hate to miss what might be our last chance to try out the dream....
You are accountants. Do a discounted cash flow around a few scenarios w.r.t. property vs. cash, bonds and equities. You'll struggle to make property work..... especially if you're going to be an absentee landlord in the rental sector.

Visit site
77 still cruising and could still take up another interest.

It’s all about attitude and physical fitness rather than age.

Back to the OP’s question, is it feasible. Possibly but I would stress test it locally before casting off into the wide blue yonder and as I am sure you are both only too aware, earning in foreign jurisdictions can bring a whole new set of problems - not least from the locals who can resent foreigners muscling and stealing the crust from their mouths.

Nevertheless, best of luck with your dream and do keep all informed on how you get on.

From experience, 10 talk about it for everyone who does it.
Well said, young man. Someone once remarked "It's all in the mind ,you know" and whilst that might be a little exaggerated there are those of continuing to surprise.

Tony Cross

Visit site
From a practical point, I think you'll need to budget for providing your own Internet access (MiFi etc. for example). In my experience marina WiFi is generally unreliable and often slow, and cafe/bars WiFi is often equally slow in the summer when everyone is using them. Accessing a cafe/bar's WiFi from anchor is certainly doable, we used to do that with a decent high-gain omnidirectional antenna, but boats moving between you and the cafe/bar, or even trees blowing in the wind across your line of sight play havoc with the signals.

From a lifestyle point, I would certainly give it a go. Though as suggested you'll need to fly under the radar in foreign parts, especially if you take on clients within another country. I would also strongly suggest that you not bank on getting a decent and regular income, if you can't afford to survive without working at all it might be wise to rethink.

Wansworth

Visit site
My comment about starting before your 65yrs was not a slight on older people but from my perspective as being Seventy was it’s easier to make changes to lifestyle sooner than later,I indeed have taken on new challenges but physical and mental facilities may not be as agile!

rib

Visit site
My comment about starting before your 65yrs was not a slight on older people but from my perspective as being Seventy was it’s easier to make changes to lifestyle sooner than later,I indeed have taken on new challenges but physical and mental facilities may not be as agile!

many thanks

rib

Visit site

many thanks
Start again... Been cruising the med for three years spending up tp now about 4 nights in a marina per season. But winter over in one. Using WiFi boxes we have very rarely not got in to Internet in the anchorages. My partner edits papers and easily fits it in as we cruise

nortada

Visit site
From a practical point, I think you'll need to budget for providing your own Internet access (MiFi etc. for example). In my experience marina WiFi is generally unreliable and often slow, and cafe/bars WiFi is often equally slow in the summer when everyone is using them. Accessing a cafe/bar's WiFi from anchor is certainly doable, we used to do that with a decent high-gain omnidirectional antenna, but boats moving between you and the cafe/bar, or even trees blowing in the wind across your line of sight play havoc with the signals.

From a lifestyle point, I would certainly give it a go. Though as suggested you'll need to fly under the radar in foreign parts, especially if you take on clients within another country. I would also strongly suggest that you not bank on getting a decent and regular income, if you can't afford to survive without working at all it might be wise to rethink.

Agree all above.

You need to be able to survive without an income which will be an optional extra. Unless you are leaving the EU, post Brexit, I think it could be a lot harder to remain under the radar.

How much wifi do you need?

If you are moving from country to country, 3 is a good option as you get up to 20GB for £20 a month. A bonus, you can use any excess to get UK TV without resorting to VPN.

I you are based in the same country then their local provider is possibly the best option costing about €1 per day.

srm

Visit site
Not a new idea.
Sometime in the 80's, while sailing in northern Norway, we met a business man from either Denmark or Sweden who spent the summer cruising while continuing to run his business by mobile phone. He did say that it was preferable to let his clients think that he was still in his office.

Trident

Visit site
We've spent 7 years working online while cruising keeping an existing business going.

We were never stuck for 3G in the Med and now 4G in N Europe - Vodafone do 100GB a month for £20 with no roaming limits on data which makes things very easy now. Back in the Med we had to have a few sims but that wouldn't be the case now.

Of course we had to move anchorages if the one we picked had poor signal which is a bind others don't have and we had to route long passages based not only on weather but on work schedule but its worked very nicely for a long time. Our incomes haven't really dropped much and because we live very cheaply cruising our savings have trebled in the time we've been cruising so its very definitely doable in practical terms - your own business needs of course I can't comment on .

laika

Visit site
Vodafone do 100GB a month for £20 with no roaming limits on data which makes things very easy now.

That deal was available about a year ago but no longer I believe: they hiked the price to £24 while I was thinking about signing up, then they dropped it altogether in favour of "unlimited" plans which are priced by a cap on connection speed and have a data cap of 25GB when roaming (and I don't know if there's a maximum length of time you can be out of the country). Great for the UK: I was able to ditch my separate LTE router with a Three SIM which worked fine on the boat bu Three's coverage and performance are rubbish in parts of London and on the train route from Brighton. The cap will limit your ability to stream netflix in the med but a sensible person can fit *a lot* of business use, including video conferences, into 25GB/month. Especially if the OP is only working 1 or 2 days a week.