EA Thames Winter Works Update

The Glassman

Visit site
Goring looks interesting. Presumably not a full closure.
Darned right, OID! We've been here before and I raised exactly that point then.... the announced 'closure' period for Goring (my local lock) includes Easter. If the EA think that the hire companies, not to mention their other esteemed customers (aka us) will tolerate that, they're even more deluded or incompetent than is generally believed. Let's be charitable and expect only a 'limited' closure in April.......?

The Glassman

Visit site
Am now informed that the Goring closure will be 17th February to 1st April, but that work will continue beyond 1st April on the 24hr moorings, which will be closed for an as yet undisclosed period after that.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Ah yes, the boring goring mooring below the bridge.
I wonder what is going on there then. Those moorings always seem ok. If it was the piling that could be quite expensive but I think it's proper thick Larssen piles there which should last decades. Or is it just the wooden edges that need doing.

Barge

Visit site
I believe it is the path that's the problem. I may be wrong but i heard that it is the "wrong sort of surface"....make of that what you will.

Visit site
Speaking to Steve the Locky from Cleeve the other day and he said it is indeed the surface of the path as it’s slippery ,some of the timbers being replaced as well
He heard a month longer than the lock works for the path
That will cause problems mooring wise

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Latest official info re works at Goring -
17 February 2022 to 21 April 2022
Goring Lock Reconstruction of access steps to tail of Lock Island, replacement head landing timber fenders and reconstruction of short stay mooring path (Thames Path).
EA have confirmed that passage through the lock should be available from end March but adjacent infrastructure work, particularly the path will continue.
How this will affect the moorings remains to be seen.
The EA have also informed user reps that they are endeavouring to ensure that passage through all locks is available by 31st. March although there may be continuing works during April at some locations.
All winter works are carried out by third party contractors