EA - nothing better to do

theguvnor

Visit site
During my trip on the non tidal Sunday I was informed by a lock keeper (no names) that after H&S meetings it has been decided by the powers that be that from now on no lock keeper will be allowed to have a dog on site unless it is always on a lead or kept in a secure run ( at the lockies expense)

WTF are they doing to the character of the Thames ?? They are deemed to be a "tripping hazard" (no reported incidents ever reported though). OK I`ll conceed that they are a hazard to your biscuit supplies but can`t the EA think of a better use of their time --I, like all could write a list

DogsBody

Visit site
Well they've gotta justify the jobs for the back office lot somehow haven't they. Thats whay they are constantly making new rulings about things the guys "out in the field" can't do anymore.

trev

Visit site
The EA management are becoming a load of old women jobsworths (appologies to the fair sex). They obviously take no heed of tradition or the opinions of their customers, or even bother to 'think it through' before coming out with more bunk !!
I am strongly considering leaving the Thames after over twenty years of cruising. I'm sure the EA wont stop until we've all gone ! Then they'll put in for more funding to offset the loss of revenue.

byron

RIP
Visit site
Damned crazy, the Lockies dog is a useful animal apart from anything it serves as a guard at night especially at yobbo vulnerable locks like Caversham. What is it with these people? Do they sit at their desks pondering on irritating and pointless things to do?

SimbaDog

Visit site
[quoteDo they sit at their desks pondering on irritating and pointless things to do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably ! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

DWT

Visit site
I don't know why you lot are always complaining about these things. It strikes me that a dog roaming around a lock is an accident waiting to happen.

Having disposed of this problem, perhaps the EA can now turn their attention to the extraordinary danger posed by all those untrained skippers driving their boats into their locks and throwing ropes all over the place. They really should put a stop to it.

Cliveshep

Visit site
The solution is obvious really. The dog belongs to the Lock keeper who lives in the cottage so it has a perfect right to be there. Therefore, the EA has to stop all boats passing through locks, thus removing the danger. That's the only way the risk can be minimised altogether. Simple!

charliespan

Visit site
Re: Lock keepers

Sorry if this is old news but has anyone heard of the night shift going
at Richmond (and possibly others)?
Going to "consultation" for implimentation Dec 2007/Jan 2008.
Lockies will get mobilised from home for Police/Fire/RNLI but will be expected
to do this for casual traffic as well.

Driving force appears to be the HM with the Spanish sounding name.

I am not a frequent lock user but it seemed important enough that others
better versed in river politics might enquire further.

Chris_d

Visit site
Was relieved to see 2 different lockkeepers dogs running around as usual on Sunday, hopefully this rule is will be rigourously ignored.