EA Accommodations Licensing Review

Gavi

Visit site
They are welcome to come and find mine. They will need more than the Wellies the brought last time

byron

RIP
Visit site
I wonder if scaffold posts rammed in to prevent boats floating over the banks in floods qualify as 'accommodations' ?

oldgit

Visit site
Presumably the trip boat companies have to pay something for their various landing stages and pick up points , what about the rowers launching sites and slipways and those houseboats moored below Teddington they must all be moored to piles or pontoons.

Last edited:

Brayman

Visit site
Presumably the trip boat companies have to pay something for their various landing stages and pick up points , what about the rowers launching sites and slipways and those houseboats moored below Teddington they must all be moored to piles or pontoons.

Below Teddington isn't the EA's responsibility.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
The EA jurisdiction actually extends about 230 yards below Teddington Lock and the boundary is marked by an obelisk on the Surrey bank:
http://www.geolocation.ws/v/E/2042235/obelisk-near-teddington-lock-surrey/en

If you follow the link in the notice there lis a full explanation of accommodations:
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/recreation/132995.aspx

According to the licence fee tariff an accommodation is an actual structure "standing in or projecting over the
River Thames or on Environment Agency owned Towpath land" and includes offshore mooring piles and rubbing posts or booms
http://a0768b4a8a31e106d8b0-50dc802554eb38a24458b98ff72d550b.r19.cf3.rackcdn.com/LIT_6730_69dc53.pdf

Last edited:

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
How about the boats which are permanently moored at various farmer's field, do the farmers have to pay anything for this?
To the best of my knowledge the farmer will only have to pay if there is an actual "accommodation" structure of some kind. Mooring alongside the bank itself is the province of the landowner who can charge or not as they think fit but I am not aware of any requirement for any charge to be passed to the EA. The boat itself must, of course, have a valid licence.

oldgit

Visit site
Below Teddington isn't the EA's responsibility.

Does anything between Richmond and Teddington have to comply with BSS rules or pay any licencing fees of any description.
Would have thought that stretch is hardly tidal and any sewage would just hang around.
One up side to the floods is that it will clear out much silt and human detritus inc old bottles and such like.
We have a serious problem down here with a large livaboard marina dumping its raw sewage directly into water which is not being flushed away and ends up on local slipways.

Last edited:

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Does anything between Richmond and Teddington have to comply with BSS rules or pay any licencing fees of any description.
As per my previous post, EA jurisdiction extends about 200 metres below Teddington Lock to the obelisk which marks the boundary with PLA.
Technically any boat above the obelisk is required to have an EA Licence which includes BSS and observance of EA bylaws. I know there was some dispute regarding annual licence fees being required for boats moored just below the lock and above the obelisk but I do not know the outcome - perhaps someone here moored at Teddington Harbour can enlighten us?

I confess to almost complete ignorance regarding PLA bylaws etc below the obelisk !