E scoter on board

superboots

Visit site
I have not had much success with carrying a bicycle on board- folding or not -takes up too much space, looks ungainly on deck, rusts and is troublesome to maintain - also gets stolen. So I have been thinking about an E scoter, its compact (foldable) can be stowed in a locker, no effort to use but there are so many models on the market with great variation in price - I don't know what to choose. My issues would be cost, weight (battery type) comfort (seat) (suspension) reliability and ease to maintain. Range I don't think is a priority as it would be used in the marina or perhaps short distances to shops etc. There is also the legality of using them on the public highway. I would be interested to know views and experiences.

nortada

Visit site
I have not had much success with carrying a bicycle on board- folding or not -takes up too much space, looks ungainly on deck, rusts and is troublesome to maintain - also gets stolen. So I have been thinking about an E scoter, its compact (foldable) can be stowed in a locker, no effort to use but there are so many models on the market with great variation in price - I don't know what to choose. My issues would be cost, weight (battery type) comfort (seat) (suspension) reliability and ease to maintain. Range I don't think is a priority as it would be used in the marina or perhaps short distances to shops etc. There is also the legality of using them on the public highway. I would be interested to know views and experiences.

I have had a similar thought but believe legal usage varies from country to country.

[3889]

Visit site
I had one on board for a year, Xioami M535. Stowage and dis/embarkation was easier than a bike and it was useful for shopping trips longer than about 1 mile.
Even with pneumatic tyres it was hellish on unmade surfaces or Portuguese cobbles and it slowed to walking pace up steep hills. Range was realistically 10 miles. It recharged off 200W solar in about 6 hours, slightly less on shore power.
I sold it as it made me lazy (and porky) plus it was purely functional whereas I enjoy cycling. FYI I got £200 for it on eBay with 150 miles on the clock.

Daverw

Visit site
See them being used more often in the UK but also seen the report that someone recently got stopped, 3 points for using motor vehicle with no insurance and 3 more for unlicensed vehicle, if I did not have a licence would probably use one fir short trips but not going to risk licence.

ashtead

Visit site
They private ones seem to be used bay young lads around 16 or so but least they do stay on the cycle paths which notwithstanding millions spent by our local council seem neglected by the Lycra clad hordes in Surrey . Clear compulsory insurance should be had once it’s in force for cyclists of course. The beryl bikes on iow seem popular by number present but some issues in areas with poor mobile signals.

[3889]

Visit site
Clear compulsory insurance should be had once it’s in force for cyclists of course. The beryl bikes on iow seem popular by number present but some issues in areas with poor mobile signals.

That's never, then? Or will it be a week before insurance is required for pedestrians? Or do you not consider the orders of magnitude variation between motorist induced injuries compared to those caused by other road users at all relevant?