Dublin Bay. Howth to Dun Laoghaire

Bristolfashion

Visit site
So, we're at Greystones, south of Dublin Bay and intend to sail up to Howth (to finish or circumnavigation) and then down to Dun Laoghaire.

It seems to me that the Northwards passage is best achieved bypassing East of the Burford Bank and thus avoiding all the complexities of Dublin Bay traffic.

However, despite having read all the guides and the port information, I'm still a bit mystified as to the normal passage yachts make from Howth to Dun Laoghaire.

Any info gratefully received.

ridgy

Visit site
I've always just taken a mostly straight line from the harbour to the headland leaving the fairway buoy and Rosberg East to port.
Obviously keeping an eye out for ships of which I've never noticed that many though it has been a while since I was last there. You've just reminded me I'm well overdue another night at the Abbey Tavern.

Edit: That's going from Dun Laoghaire to Howth, obviously the reverse going the other way.

dansaskip

seabear.uk
Going from Dun Laoghaire to Howth or vice versa - going east of Burford bank adds a bit of distance. I have always gone more or less direct. Like ridgy says never noticed traffic a problem. Of course Greystones to Howth east of the bank not so great a deviation but myself I would go via Dublin bay anyway. I might even be tempted to go via Dalkey sound which I have done before. I quite like skirting the coast for the scenery and interest. Of course all depends on weather and wind and that might dictate voice of route. Certainly with any east in the wind I would avoid going east of the bank.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Congratulations on your circumnavigation.

which were your favourite places ?
Ooh, tricky. There are so many.

The trip up to Newry on the canal was interesting (and, bizarrely, we sailed!), Strangford lough. Rathlin Island, Inishbofin & Inishmor, Blasket Sound & Dingle, Crookhaven and Sherkin Island. Whilst not to everyone's taste, we really liked the unusual little harbour of Courtown.

Best pizza, Greystones, best traditional music & Guinness, Dingle, best cafe Inishbofin, best fish & chips Killybegs. Most effusive welcome, Dungarvan. Closest supermarket to mooring - Dungarvan (with Newry a close second). Best lighthouse, Rathlin West. Most interesting (short) passage, Dursey Island Sound (under the cable car), best wind Inishmor to Fenit, worst overfalls, Achill Head.

A great trip - at times challenging and at other times, fairly long waits between weather windows!

Neil

Visit site
A great trip - at times challenging and at other times, fairly long waits between weather windows!

You've done very well! I've been sailing my new boat in Dublin Bay just getting to grips with the new ropes, but much of the summer for me was either gales and rain or dead calm