Dual action or rotary polisher.....

Marine Reflections

hullgel.co.uk
Hi Gary

Just my thoughts.. forget the glaze..

1, It doesn't really matter about temp, but it's nicer to work with a bit of sunshine on yer back... plus the reflective sun will highlight surface condition & make it easier for you to perfect as i'm guessing you wont be using a 3m Sun Gun.

2, Finesse it II... my thinking is from memory that machine glaze was for masking swirl marks & ghost tails on paintwork.

Hope this helps.. Fletcher looks good by the way...:)

CharlesSwallow

Visit site
Well done!

Thank you to everyone for your comments......I have placed an order for a dual action orbital.

no matter what their afficianados say, rotary polishers - little more than slowed down angle grinders! - always leave swirls. You may not be able to see them straight away in daylight but sooner or later they will appear on the topsides of your floating pride and joy. Yellow (sodium) lamps especially reveal them.

Chas

Marine Reflections

hullgel.co.uk
no matter what their afficianados say, rotary polishers - little more than slowed down angle grinders! - always leave swirls. You may not be able to see them straight away in daylight but sooner or later they will appear on the topsides of your floating pride and joy. Yellow (sodium) lamps especially reveal them.

Chas

I agree with that to a certain extent..
You wont be able to see swirls straight away without decent light, this is the most impotant factor with surface correction / protection and is so often overlooked.
It's the difference between your surfaces performing for a long time and them returning to a dull condition fairly quickly.

If you have only done half a job (walked away when you have shiny surfaces) without correcting the swirls and ghost tails, then the surface won't reflect light (of course including UV) nearly as well as a highly polished mirrror finish.

It's easy to assume this is caused by the fixed rotary action of a polisher and that an oscillating dual action polisher won't do this, but there is more to it than your choice of polisher.

There are many stages to the process and a reflection you can see your face in does not mean you are finished and can crack the beers open and forget about it, if you want your efforts to last.

The polishing stages will sort out swirl marks & ghost tails if done correctly and it will not matter if you are using a rotary or a dual action polisher.

Swirl marks are also caused (not just by surface re-levelling) but due to incorrect preparation prior to any polishing work.

Contaminates that have not been removed during the washing process are picked up by the polisher and scratch the surfaces at a microscopic level and are only revealed later.. and many more reasons swirls are produced (wrong pads, wrong wool mops for speed settings and so on..

With a rotary or a dual action polisher, you have to persist with the process.

Video clip of polishing with a rotary.

:)

Monique

Visit site
Porter Cable is a good unit.

However, if you are on a budget (most of us are...) get a Bosch PEX 400.

Works as well as PC but less than 1/2 the price.

Good luck