DSC Radio and MMSI - Swapping between boats

Bigplumbs

Visit site
It is I believe conventional wisdom that you cannot swap your fixed DSC radio between boats as it is linked and the record is to the boat. Having just obtained a new licence and MMSI for my new radio (I have 5 radios in total) I now notice that on the Ofcom portal you can log in and edit all the boat information about your radio against each radio. This would suggest that as long as the radio is registered to you and your account this is perfectly possible now to swap legally between boats should you so wish. This would of course mean logging in and changing each time but this is actually quite easy. and if you want to do it for say a weeks holiday on a different boat no real chore. I have the same make of radio in each boat so mounts and looms are no problem. The extra features on my new radio (AIS) do interest me however

Anyone ever done this.

Dennis

BruceK

Visit site
Although you can, as you have discovered, change the details I am not sure it's strictly legal in as much as they do make the distinction between a ship radio and a portable unit transferable between boats... the t-number on your hand held for instance. I do not know the answer, only that the distinction is made.

[165042]

Visit site
That depends on how old it is - newer ICOM units for example allow you to program the MMSI yourself.

Alternatively you can keep a radio and MMSI and then change the details of the vessel that the MMSI is registered to via OFCOM's website.

Blue Sunray

Visit site
I had to pay a certified Raymarine tech for this (iirc, 200€ for both the DSC VHF and the AIS transponder) as you can't reset the MMSI yourself on some (most?) equipment.

Garmin did mine for free, I have to say they were very helpful.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
That depends on how old it is - newer ICOM units for example allow you to program the MMSI yourself.

Alternatively you can keep a radio and MMSI and then change the details of the vessel that the MMSI is registered to via OFCOM's website.

Yes that was in effect what I was saying in my first post. It must be legal or they would not let you do it

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Confusion, as usual whenever this comes up, reigns supreme

Yes, you can change your vessel licence details on the Ofcom website, adding new VHF units etc. but you cannot (and should not*) use an MMSI number allocated to another vessel (or radio if a Ship's Portable Radio Licence)

The MMSI is issued by Ofcom when the vessel (or radio) is first licencsed

Yes, you can programme the MMSI number into a new VHF (AIS, etc) ONCE. You cannot subsequently change it, that requires software which is only issued to main dealers (and is closely guarded). Blame the Americans, they didn't want us to be able to programme the MMSI at all

So to properly transfer a previously programmed VHF set from one vessel to another, you will have to grease the palm of a main dealer tech with silver. You shouldn't expect to pay more than £40 to £50 for this

* If you use a set with an MMSI number allocated to a different vessel, it will be that vessels' details which are pulled up if you should ever have the misfortune to press the red panic button, not the details of the vessel you are on. This would be a bad thing!

Switch

Visit site
So I've bought a new boat with a fixed VHF. It has an MMSI number. I've since changed the boats name (it's not part one registered). I assume that Ofcom will have the previous owners details listed - Can I contact them to change this or does the previous owner have to do this?

stelican

Visit site

Yes, you can change your vessel licence details on the Ofcom website, adding new VHF units etc. but you cannot (and should not*) use an MMSI number allocated to another vessel (or radio if a Ship's Portable Radio Licence)

Yes, you can programme the MMSI number into a new VHF (AIS, etc) ONCE. You cannot subsequently change it, that requires software which is only issued to main dealers (and is closely guarded). Blame the Americans, they didn't want us to be able to programme the MMSI at all

So to properly transfer a previously programmed VHF set from one vessel to another, you will have to grease the palm of a main dealer tech with silver. You shouldn't expect to pay more than £40 to £50 for this

* If you use a set with an MMSI number allocated to a different vessel, it will be that vessels' details which are pulled up if you should ever have the misfortune to press the red panic button, not the details of the vessel you are on. This would be a bad thing!

Or it could be amusing if they sent a SAR to his house

Bigplumbs

Visit site

I think you are incorrect.

So My new Radio has an MMSI (That I will not change) and is linked to Boat A with Details about Boat A

If I physically move that radio to a second boat (Keeping the same MMSI) go to the offcom portal, log in and change all the details of boat A to the details of boat B (which you can do on the portal) the Radio is now linked to boat B on the system.

Boat A has now become boat B

Please tell me how this is incorrect and in particular who would know. Also this will achieve what was intended by the original idea

Last edited:

[165042]

Visit site
I think you are incorrect.

So My new Radio has an MMSI (That I will not change) and is linked to Boat A with Details about Boat A

If I physically move that radio to a second boat (Keeping the same MMSI) go to the offcom portal, log in and change all the details of boat A to the details of boat B (which you can do on the portal) the Radio is now linked to boat B on the system.

Boat A has now become boat B

Please tell me how this is incorrect and in particular who would know. Also this will achieve what was intended by the original idea

I agree with you - that's exactly what I've done in the past.

BruceK

Visit site

It's not a question of who will know, it's who wont. Have you for instance registered a CG66 with the Coastguard yet? Ofcom be damned when I'm in such peril that all I have time for is to push the red button. I want the coastguard and the boys in yellow wellies to know exactly who and what they are dealing with if I cant speak to them myself.

BruceK

Visit site
In addition you may be able to change your Ofcom details on the fly but I do not believe the replication is instant. When I did mine it took about 15 days before the MARS database replicated to show the change.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
It's not a question of who will know, it's who wont. Have you for instance registered a CG66 with the Coastguard yet? Ofcom be damned when I'm in such peril that all I have time for is to push the red button. I want the coastguard and the boys in yellow wellies to know exactly who and what they are dealing with if I cant speak to them myself.

They will all the details will be correct
Read it again

Bigplumbs

Visit site
The important thing is the call sign which hardly anyone uses and is not marked anywhere on the boat

So if it is just a name change and all the other details are the same or blank then it looks like it is not legal but could not be enforced

Another example of stupid rules it seem