Drying out at Ramsholt

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Can someone tell me the depth at the quay HWN & HWS is it possible to dry out either on the inside or outside of the key, whats the bottom like and should I clear it with George prior to going alongside.

sailorman

Visit site
Can someone tell me the depth at the quay HWN & HWS is it possible to dry out either on the inside or outside of the key, whats the bottom like and should I clear it with George prior to going alongside.

You Must talk to George first normally its only us mooring holders allowed & he is unlikely to allow you unless he knows you.
the bottom along the side is good, on the end lumpy with uneven bottom

MrCramp

Visit site
My Mate (a fellow mooring holder) stuck his Westerly Discus on the end last year whilst my son dried out on the side. The Discus did a spectacular nose dive as the tide went out. It is definately not adviseable (as George did warn him) to try and dry out on the end.

Again I don't think that George will allow anyone to dry out on the dock if they are not a mooring holder. We have to get advanced approval from him.

The best alternative is the drying out posts at Waldringfield which are on a good concrete base. I think the cost is £10 and again I think you pay at the Maybush. Perhaps worth ringing the Maybush.

Silent Lady

Visit site
If you have not asked ..

If you have not asked don't even bother. George has all the boats who want to go alongside in his book. He will tell you if its possible or not and how long. Depth is fine wait till after high water and keep going until you stop. Check the tide table and make sure that the next tide will be the same or higher :rolleyes:

You need plenty of fenders and watch the slipway on the way in. If you come in on a falling tide then it should push you onto the wall. If its blowing then you will need to get your lines sorted as George is not getting any younger. Bottom is very hard but the end is mud . The water goes out to the end of the quay . There is NO Water on the Quay apart from the tap at the pub. No electric either.

MrCramp

Visit site
If you have not asked don't even bother. George has all the boats who want to go alongside in his book. He will tell you if its possible or not and how long. Depth is fine wait till after high water and keep going until you stop. Check the tide table and make sure that the next tide will be the same or higher :rolleyes:

You need plenty of fenders and watch the slipway on the way in. If you come in on a falling tide then it should push you onto the wall. If its blowing then you will need to get your lines sorted as George is not getting any younger. Bottom is very hard but the end is mud . The water goes out to the end of the quay . There is NO Water on the Quay apart from the tap at the pub. No electric either.

I don't understand what the first two sentences are trying to say.

You certainly do not keep going until you stop, if you do you are likely to be in the wrong position.

No berth holder would expect George to be on hand to take lines.

The Dock is only available to berth holders who have permission from George to use it to dry out on any particular day.