Drying out alongside long keel

siencyn

Visit site
Hi, can I get some advice from the huge library of knowledge & experience here please? How easy or difficult or even safe should it be to dry out my Aquastar Oceanranger 38, alongside? She wouldn’t beach safely I’m sure but what steps should be taken to do it alongside safely as possible. Her keel is quite wide.
thanks

NormanS

Visit site
Hi, can I get some advice from the huge library of knowledge & experience here please? How easy or difficult or even safe should it be to dry out my Aquastar Oceanranger 38, alongside? She wouldn’t beach safely I’m sure but what steps should be taken to do it alongside safely as possible. Her keel is quite wide.
thanks
You'll probably get more knowledgeable information on the Motor Boat Forum for your kind of boat.

neil_s

Visit site
If she has a long keel and the rudder and prop are clear of the ground it should be quite possible to do. You need to make sure the mooring lines are tight as she touches down. Don't use squashy fenders - I have some planks of wood with carpet tacked to one side - make sure you have the carpet on the 'boat' side tho - in the heat of the moment I rigged mine the wrong way around once! Range the anchor and cable along the side deck to give her a slight list towards the quay.

siencyn

Visit site
If she has a long keel and the rudder and prop are clear of the ground it should be quite possible to do. You need to make sure the mooring lines are tight as she touches down. Don't use squashy fenders - I have some planks of wood with carpet tacked to one side - make sure you have the carpet on the 'boat' side tho - in the heat of the moment I rigged mine the wrong way around once! Range the anchor and cable along the side deck to give her a slight list towards the quay.
Many thanks Neil, great tips.
I’m going to drum up the courage & give it go.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Here is an image of one dried out on a beach, supported by legs on each quarter, if you are not familiar with her underwater shape:-

Aquastar 38, 79.500 € | iNautia.com

If I was drying this boat out against a wall, it would not bother me too much: -

Check the area at low tide to make sure that the area is clear of debris or rocks that could damage the hull, propellors or rudders.
Is the sea bed has slope, berth the boat so that the bow is up slope,
The bow will likely touch first, so if the stern may drop a bot more, be prepared to adjust the stern brest line.
I have found that my weight on the side is usually good enough to lean inwards towards the wall, but test this when she is afloat.
Be careful as she touches not to pull the lines too tight as she might pivot away from the wall as she settles, especially if the stern line is left too tight.
A tip. If you can take a line from the cleats away from the wall at the bow and stern to the same point on the wall as your bow and stern line, then tensioning them, will rock her in wards, towards the wall.

You will be fine, just apply common sense.

siencyn

Visit site
Here is an image of one dried out on a beach, supported by legs on each quarter, if you are not familiar with her underwater shape:-

Aquastar 38, 79.500 € | iNautia.com

If I was drying this boat out against a wall, it would not bother me too much: -

Check the area at low tide to make sure that the area is clear of debris or rocks that could damage the hull, propellors or rudders.
Is the sea bed has slope, berth the boat so that the bow is up slope,
The bow will likely touch first, so if the stern may drop a bot more, be prepared to adjust the stern brest line.
I have found that my weight on the side is usually good enough to lean inwards towards the wall, but test this when she is afloat.
Be careful as she touches not to pull the lines too tight as she might pivot away from the wall as she settles, especially if the stern line is left too tight.
A tip. If you can take a line from the cleats away from the wall at the bow and stern to the same point on the wall as your bow and stern line, then tensioning them, will rock her in wards, towards the wall.

You will be fine, just apply common sense.
That’s so very helpful. I did think I was being a wus but it’s nice to have some tips & pointers. Thank you for taking the time to reply. I’m very grateful & my confidence is boosted.