Dry Lease / Bareboat of 22-24 mtr

MrB

Visit site
Henry will know how much day charter you can expect as that is what he does.

Without mentioning names i hit on that in post #24 and I guess H has done his numbers being a businessman in the exact cruising ground!

My thought is that its a massive business risk. If I understand you correctly, you are wanting to lease a 22-24m boat for 6 months and then offer skippered charter/accommodation with it? You know that the average charter rate for a boat this size with crew is £25-30k a week. Say you persuade somebody to lease you a boat for 6 months at £10-15k a week.

Mike, he wants someone to lease him a 22-24m boat, coded with all the toys for £10k a month, not a week that's why I have been saying its ludicrous!!

Need to jump out now, too much shore leave and all that lol ;):eek:

MrB

Visit site
Dont be so undignified. There is not a man here that has a good grasp of Math without delusion. Not even one!

I'm a strong believer in "Man Maths"™ but to get that wrong was unforgivable lol. I had spent most of the weekend working with my daughter on her personal statement to get into Oxford for Maths and Economics but the red wine won! Man maths+ funbox =dullard for me lol. :eek::D

Bouba

Visit site
The OP is saying that the £60k per season is way less than the rent but is equivalent to the boat owner’s profit, and he will assume all other costs.

Ponderous

Visit site
As we all know there is not a single 22-24 mtr in the UK on the South Coast that has a guaranteed charter income, and all of this content regarding 25-30k a week is based on the Med - I used to run F78 down there so know exactly how that works.. again - without giving ALL the details away -

I was kinda hoping someone on here might know someone, that knows someone who has a vessel of this size and was looking for an offset in annual costs especially if it wasn’t actually used that much or only did say 5-10 days chartering per season.. even if the owner said ‘well i need it for 2 weeks’ but other than that I might be open for a deal subject to numbers..

Anyhow no worries and please no more responses.... it will be easier to delete the post. It was a simple question - NOT a troll of the forum - cheers

Hurricane

Visit site
Try looking at this from the boat owners perspective.
He has about 800k tied up in a boat.
You are asking him to give up the best time of the year and in the UK that amounts to virtually ALL of the boating season that is left.
So, what is in it for the owner?
60k for the season from an 800k investment less large replacement items etc.
So he would get something around 4 to 6 percent return on a boat he can't use for the best part of the year.
He would be better off selling the boat and investing in a tracker fund - then get a similar return on a similar risky investment but without the hassle.

Unlike the aeroplane model, I can't see this idea flying!

Mr Googler

Visit site
Plus the boat now has another 300-400 hours on...none of which the owner enjoyed but has impacted resale (rightly or wrongly)

Sorry op....you poked the bear :D

sorabain

Visit site
Try looking at this from the boat owners perspective.
He has about 800k tied up in a boat.
You are asking him to give up the best time of the year and in the UK that amounts to virtually ALL of the boating season that is left.
So, what is in it for the owner?
60k for the season from an 800k investment less large replacement items etc.
So he would get something around 4 to 6 percent return on a boat he can't use for the best part of the year.
He would be better off selling the boat and investing in a tracker fund - then get a similar return on a similar risky investment but without the hassle.

Unlike the aeroplane model, I can't see this idea flying!

I guess it was worth asking. From what I understood he was only looking to use someone else's boat for a season to check out the market rather than it necessarily being a long term agreement. There was a chance someone might have had an idle boat for a season or two for some reason or another but didn't want to sell as they expect use it more in years to come -- well off enough that they don't need to sell to invest elsewhere, but tight enough that they might have fancied a bit of a return (plus the boat being kept healthy through use rather than idle). I personally took a significant knock to boat use in the last couple of years but haven't sold (although boat only half the size he's after)

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Mike, he wants someone to lease him a 22-24m boat, coded with all the toys for £10k a month, not a week that's why I have been saying its ludicrous!!
:
I missed that! Thats a complete non starter. The extra depreciation on the boat due to the charter use alone is going to be more than £10k a month. Any used boat buyer is going to pick up the fact that the boat has been coded and mark down its value accordingly. In any case why should any owner do that when he could charter out the boat himself through a charter agency and probably clear £20k a week after expenses?

Portofino

Visit site
It's not a troll . The OP asked a Q , and he's got emphatic answers, all aligned and broadly in agreement. Rare on here btw .
He shouldn't be ridiculed. No different to somebody say asking " why are there two terminals on my battery "

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
It's not a troll . The OP asked a Q , and he's got emphatic answers, all aligned and broadly in agreement. Rare on here btw .
He shouldn't be ridiculed. No different to somebody say asking " why are there two terminals on my battery "
Before getting all pompous you might have noted the first word 'If' and the fact that I also offered some advice.

Other threads that may be of interest