Drip free refilling from 20 litre jerry can?

FairweatherDave

Visit site
However well I pour diesel from the can into the funnel and into the tank I get some diesel run down the side of the can. And thence to the cockpit sole. A little bit messy and needing a bit of rag/paper towel. I'm not talking about splashes but just diesel that through surface tension never leaves the lip of the jerry can. I haven't got a spout but maybe that would work. Haven't tried a spout partly as managing the weight of a 20 litre jerry can aimed into a funnel is not easy, but is that the way to go? Any good suggestions, do people use detachable spouts like you get on the green 5l cans?

Gibeltarik

Visit site
Use
However well I pour diesel from the can into the funnel and into the tank I get some diesel run down the side of the can. And thence to the cockpit sole. A little bit messy and needing a bit of rag/paper towel. I'm not talking about splashes but just diesel that through surface tension never leaves the lip of the jerry can. I haven't got a spout but maybe that would work. Haven't tried a spout partly as managing the weight of a 20 litre jerry can aimed into a funnel is not easy, but is that the way to go? Any good suggestions, do people use detachable spouts like you get on the green 5l cans?
Use one of these
https://www.temu.com/bgn_verificati...verification&refer_page_id=10017_172434907635

other suppliers are available!

kacecar

Visit site
+1 for the jiggle syphon - simple and reliable device, requires no power, the can doesn't have to be lifted once in place, no need for a funnel, and relatively drip-free if used sensibly and with care.
I too have the filler on the side-deck. I found a 20 litre jerry-can very difficult to pour accurately, especially if the boat was moving about. I tried a detachable spout (the metal clip-on type, specific to jerry-cans) but it didn't make anything more manageable and I always seemed to get diesel dripping from somewhere anyway, so abandoned using it. Before going the syphon route I considered getting a MUCH larger funnel, but decided it would be awkward to store.