Drinking and sailing

G

Has the days of finding a peaceful anchorage and sharing a bottle of wine at lunch time finaly come to an end. Perhaps the goverment would like to wrap us in cotton wool and ban us from having any pleasure. I sail a small 26' yacht which is not famous for its high speeds. Plenty of time to manouver and think out problems. I do not suggest that getting drunk is appropriate, but a few drinks with friends on days sailing in company looks like coming to an end. Moderation is the key, not legislation.

G

I'm afraid it is a case of the few spoiling it for the many and while you might be a responsible drinker there are many out there, often in highly dangerous power driven speedsters, who aren't. I can't see any government saying it is OK to be over any limit while in charge of a 26 foot sailing craft but not OK in a 17 foot RIB with a 40hp outboard.

G

I really do not think that we need get our sheets in a twist over this. In 36 years of sailing I have known quite a few sailing policemen and, believe me, they have been amongst the sanest of men (and in one or two cases, the most helpful). No one is going to get heavy with you or me for having a glass or three of wine or even something stronger. Trust me.

G

Please explain...

You speak of "..the few spoiling it for the many.." then you immediately tell us that "...there are many out there..." Now who are the few and who are the many.

In my experience the scene you portray just doesn't exist in reality.

Now if the traffic Police and the Ambulance service were to tell you that there was absolutely no problem regarding drink and driving on the roads would you accept their opinion?

Well take it from me that the RNLI (in case you're not a sailing person that is the Royal National Lifeboat Institution), are of the opinion that "There isn't a problem in our opinion and such procedures would be entirely unworkable..." (full text from RNLI Director of Operations available - email me).

Now if you won't take THEIR word for it then there really is nothing else to say.

Steve Cronin

G

I think we've been down this arguement before.

This issue has no connection with people sailing and drinking. It is a course of action to allow the Government, Prescott particularly, to give a response to the question "what have you done about it" after he cynically tried to use the Marchioness disaster as a stick to beat the previous Government.

Nothing more.

The real down side is when quietly anchored drinking a glass of wine and some clown hits you, provided he has not been drinking, it will be YOUR FAULT!

Just like on the roads.