Drilling Straight Holes in Handrails?

Richard10002

Visit site
Bought these wooden hand rails to fix on top of existing 4mm steel hand rails:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-2-x18...tEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item3378a9223a

Bought some M6 x 60mm bolts, (& nuts & washers), but am not sure I can guarantee drilling straight holes vertically through the new hand rails. The ideal would be to clamp them to a bench mounted pillar drill, but I don't have one, nor do I know anyone who has one, (Manchester).

Any suggestions?

Richard

PS The new rails are going to support some planks which will run across the boat to fix a solar panel and storage box, and other stuff. The roof is curved, so the existing rails needed raising to clear the curve.

pete

Visit site
Not sure if I have got this right but can you drill through a piece of scrap wood or preferably metal, as thick as your drill length will allow, use this as a guide. When you are happy that this hole is square clamp it to your handrail and drill through the lot starting through your scrap piece, It will not be perfect but should be very near.
Pete

rob2

Visit site
There is a type of drill press which simply stands on the object to be drilled, making the drill vertical (or perpendicular to the face). I've seen them in Axminster, but can't lay my hands on their catalogue at the moment.

Would this help?

Rob.

VicS

Visit site
There is a type of drill press which simply stands on the object to be drilled, making the drill vertical (or perpendicular to the face). I've seen them in Axminster, but can't lay my hands on their catalogue at the moment.

Would this help?

Rob.

Hold in vice or workmate

Drill pilot holes first. Centre punch the positions.

Hold in a vice or workmate get an "assistant" to sight the drill against a set square to get it vertical.

Wondering if turning the rails upside down drilling from the flat underside would help.

Last edited:

Richard10002

Visit site
The Machine Mart Pillar looks good, but I think I'm going to chicken out and get it done by a joineryshop I found today.

Thanks for all the replies.....

David2452

Visit site
I have an attachment that allows one to do this kind of thing in situ, it clamps to the collar on the drill (even battery ones wth one of the split adaptors) and kind of turns it into a plunge router, but with a lot more travel. I’ve had it about fifteen years and wonder if they are still available, great for holes in panels, rails and stuff that need to be at 90 degrees to the surface.

prv

Visit site
Looks like you're already sorted, but for what it's worth, bench drills are cheap these days. Aldi do one from time to time for £20 or so. May not be the highest quality, but still better than wobbling around with a hand-held.

Pete

Richard10002

Visit site
Looks like you're already sorted, but for what it's worth, bench drills are cheap these days. Aldi do one from time to time for £20 or so. May not be the highest quality, but still better than wobbling around with a hand-held.

Pete

Can't believe how cheap these things are.... Even the Axminster at £170 looks quite amazing.

If I ever feel the need for a pillar drill again, I'll be looking at the Machine Mart stand for £30.

prv

Visit site
Can't believe how cheap these things are

That's the power of Chinese manufacturing.

When I first took my Dad to Machine Mart (to exchange some padded overalls I'd bought him for the right size) he was amazed at the prices on their tools. He picked up a large socket set more or less the same as his one and said it cost the same number of pounds now as his had in 1970.

Pete

davidpbo

Boatless in Cheshire. Formerly 23ft Jeanneau Tonic
myweb.tiscali.co.uk
Can't believe how cheap these things are.... Even the Axminster at £170 looks quite amazing.

If I ever feel the need for a pillar drill again, I'll be looking at the Machine Mart stand for £30.

I thought the big Axminster one looked good but the Machine Mart drill stand has done me for a number of years.

Boathook

Visit site
That's the power of Chinese manufacturing.

When I first took my Dad to Machine Mart (to exchange some padded overalls I'd bought him for the right size) he was amazed at the prices on their tools. He picked up a large socket set more or less the same as his one and said it cost the same number of pounds now as his had in 1970.

Pete

Cheapish tools are ok for a while but the decent tools I purchased to keep my knackered mini running are still good. The cheap ones didn't last long and had to be replaced.

prv

Visit site
Cheapish tools are ok for a while but the decent tools I purchased to keep my knackered mini running are still good. The cheap ones didn't last long and had to be replaced.

Sure, but even the good quality (albeit not absolute top of the line) tools I've bought were way cheaper than they would have been twenty years ago.

Pete