Drilling into gelcoat/fibreglass

rafiki_

Visit site
I need to drill a run of 12 mm holes for lighting on my fly steps. Clearly this has the opportunity of getting messy, and splintering. What is the learned view of best way to minimise damage (apart from not doing it at all :)).

30boat

N/A
Visit site
Use one of these and if necessary run it backwards slowly to initiate the hole.
002CC2CA_zpsp4nvj8fq.jpg

David2452

Visit site
I need to drill a run of 12 mm holes for lighting on my fly steps. Clearly this has the opportunity of getting messy, and splintering. What is the learned view of best way to minimise damage (apart from not doing it at all :)).
I cut a lot of varying size holes in GRP, when a neat job is needed with no gelcoat damage my weapon of choice is a grit edged tile hole saw, I know they are available down to 1/2" as I have a couple. They do a really tidy job and are vey easy to use.

Marine Reflections

hullgel.co.uk
I cut a lot of varying size holes in GRP, when a neat job is needed with no gelcoat damage my weapon of choice is a grit edged tile hole saw, I know they are available down to 1/2" as I have a couple. They do a really tidy job and are vey easy to use.

Second that and 30boat stating to reverse start.

To add a couple of tips if using normal drill bits (which you can) - put tape over the gel prior to drilling then mark the tape, this will stop any slipping.

Also if you can, countersink the hole slightly once drilled, it is said to help stop cracking.

Don't push hard or make the drill bite too fast, let it do its job without force, if it bites it will crack.

Wear some eye protection.

rafiki_

Visit site
Great. Can I get something like this at Screwfix?

Jamesuk

Visit site

Tape the screw hole area, start small and build the hole to avoid any excitement.

It is easy really.