Drilling Hole in Windscreen

Jim@sea

Visit site
I may have to drill a hole in my screen for a new wiper motor.
My boat was made in France in 1986 and there are no markings on the glass to indicate "Toughened Glass"
I was told that you cannot drill "Toughened Glass"
BUT at ALDI they have a set of Glass Drills for £5.99
The instructions say "Make a mark in the glass with a pointed object" then obviously use the drill.
Has anyone tried to drill a screen.
Thoughts please.

PCUK

Visit site
If it is toughened, the moment you "make a mark" the glass will shatter. Even with ordinary plate or laminated glass it is dodgy job. Personally I wouldn't risk it. If it goes wrong you will need a new screen!

Dave_Seager

www.seagers.org.uk
Toughened glass cannot be drilled or shaped after it has been toughened. Any shaping and forming must be done before the toughening process. As Jim has said, it will shatter if you try to drill it now.

Why do you need to drill a hole in the glass to fit a new wiper motor? Surely it would be better to replace the motor with the same type as was originally fitted.

Visit site
Look at the glass through polaroid glasses to tell if it's toughened.
You'll need to look at some glass that you know to be toughened first to see what you're looking for! It's quite distinctive.

If it's not toughened practice on a bit of spare glass first. It's not too difficult.

Jim@sea

Visit site
Toughened glass cannot be drilled or shaped after it has been toughened. Any shaping and forming must be done before the toughening process. As Jim has said, it will shatter if you try to drill it now.

Why do you need to drill a hole in the glass to fit a new wiper motor? Surely it would be better to replace the motor with the same type as was originally fitted.

I would just fit another one if I could find one. All I need is a wiper blade and arm (MADE BY DOGA) When I bought the boat in France I went in virtually every Chandlers in Brittany looking for a wiper arm and nobody stocks them.
So I thought I would buy a new wiper motor (Force 4 @ £32.95) and bin my 25 year old ones. It isent the hole I need to drill for the motor spline its the small retaining hole 2" to the side to stop the motor from moving.

PCUK

Visit site
If the screen has a metal frame you can bolt a strip of metal to the frame and extend it down to the wiper motor side bolt hole and that will do the job.
Also put a pic of the old wiper arm on here and see what we can find!