Drascombe Longboat?

snowleopard

Visit site
I'm off to the builders tomorrow to look at the Longboat with a view to getting one for use with our disabled clients.

Any comments on the boats, availability of used boats in good nick and alternative boats?

We need good stability, space for at least 6 while sailing, easy maintenance and an easily handled rig. Performance is a very low priority.

We will be sailing on a reservoir and won't be going out in anything over a F3-4. Draft isn't a problem but running aground in late summer when the levels are low is a definite possibility so a fixed keel would be a problem.

The boat will sit on a mooring for most of the year.

We don't need a motor or any form of cuddy, it's going to be sailing pure and simple, for no more than an hour with each group.

Romeo

Visit site
Longboat seems to hit the mark pretty well. The one beside my rowing boat seems to survive very well with no maintatinance, and offers a stable platform for sailing, fishing etc.

R

BAtoo

Visit site
Had the Longboat cruiser (the one with a cuddy); plenty of room even with the cuddy so without it you will fine; good stable simple boat; possibly a bit lacking in sail area for light winds.

TigaWave

www.H4marine.com
Great boat for teaching, I used to use these when I was running the sailing side of the Drakes island outdoor persuit centre. Many times we would just sail with the jib and mizzen, all the kids in the boat could see easily what was going on. We also used them for handicaped groups.

They have a heavy steel centre plate which gives them loads of stability, we took them out in F6-7 quite happily.

Very nice boats and heavily built so s/h should not be a worry.

Mandarin331

Visit site
Like BAtoo we had the cruiser version with a cabin. A superb boat which we sailed at sea and experienced up to force 6 with no problems, but a lot of fun.

We kept her on a mooring - where she was fine, even through the 1987 hurricane.

Only one thing to watch in shallow water - the centerboard is retractable but the rudder is not, hit anything very hard with the rudder and you'll bend the shaft (and then won't be able to lift it). We always kept the keel down in shallow water as an early warning, and in very shallow water lifted the rudder out and steered with an oar in a rowlock on the transom.