Dragons Den Last Night

Golden Time

Visit site
Did anyone see Dragons Den last night?

This was one of the things seeking investment.

Boat Box Car Roof Box

I couldn't decide whether it was a good idea or not. I personally don't need a tender and I don't want a miniature sailing boat. But is the idea of having your tender on the roof of the car appealing? Its £745 for a roof box that turns into a boat and has oars and rowlocks. £595 without oars so you can get an electric outboard or sailing rig at extra cost (not priced online).

WestWittering

Visit site
I think the designers original intention was best. It is roof box for the holidays and you can go out for a pootle when you get there - utilising the ugly great lump that you have stuck on your roof for the journey and is now empty :)

It would be a great thing to have if you camp regularly in France for example as there are some lovely lakes there all accessible. You would probably need a double decker roof boat though - by the time you have filled it with all the RNLI recommended safety equipment, picnic basket, fishing rods etc there wouldnt be a lot of room left for the camping kit ;)

I don't think many of us would want to fanny around at 4am trying to get the thing off the roof to get out to a mooring. Not more than once anyway.

Di

JClarkes

www.jclarkemarine.com
Its a great idea but won't suit all as it looks quite small and I am not sure how it would handle anything other than calm waters.

As you say tho, would be great for holidays and a paddle in a local lough

gjgm

Visit site
Lots of people have a use for a roofbox; not convinced that many have use for a boat.Tiny market, I fear.

Golden Time

Visit site
My concern would be that if you buy the motor or the sail kit, you will need the space in your new boatbox to accommodate those bits of kit - therefore negating the benefits of buying it for extra space.

Also, the bit that stays on the car roof will fill with rainwater when the boat isn't on it.

I didn't agree with the inventor when he said people are downsizing their cars for fuel efficiency and not having enough space so this solves that problem. From what I understand of roofbars/boxes, they often increase fuel use, so you'd be daft to buy a small car for fuel efficiency and load it up with his roof box.

JClarkes

www.jclarkemarine.com
My concern would be that if you buy the motor or the sail kit, you will need the space in your new boatbox to accommodate those bits of kit - therefore negating the benefits of buying it for extra space.

Also, the bit that stays on the car roof will fill with rainwater when the boat isn't on it.

I didn't agree with the inventor when he said people are downsizing their cars for fuel efficiency and not having enough space so this solves that problem. From what I understand of roofbars/boxes, they often increase fuel use, so you'd be daft to buy a small car for fuel efficiency and load it up with his roof box.

Exactly.

Golden Time

Visit site
Did they get an offer from the Dragons??

Theo was really close to giving him what he wanted. But it got a bit complicated because the chap already had an investor and in order to get his investment he was knocking back the other investers %tage so he kept 51% overall.

He did say he is in the process of fulfilling 46 orders and Go Outdoors is stocking it on their site. £699 for the one with oars and rowlocks (EDIT: if you have a discount card - £800 if you dont).

Last edited:

JClarkes

www.jclarkemarine.com
Theo was really close to giving him what he wanted. But it got a bit complicated because the chap already had an investor and in order to get his investment he was knocking back the other investers %tage so he kept 51% overall.

He did say he is in the process of fulfilling 46 orders and Go Outdoors is stocking it on their site. £699 for the one with oars and rowlocks.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/boatbox-boat-box-roof-box-p216824

just found it and more pictures.

rafiki_

Visit site
I'm struggling with the logic. Most cars have a roof rack max load of 50 -75 kg max, inc roof bars. This will create a large box of wind, unless substantially overloaded. Mind you, it is going to be full of lifejackets presumably?

paultallett

www.caymanreef.co.uk
Just had a look at the link. I think as a serious boat tender it's not much use, but for a family going camping and hoping to have a bit of fun on the fishing lake when they get there, it's a very good idea.

lets be honest though, all were iching to know is does it plane and can we fit a 100hp outboard on the back!! :D

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I think the designer needs to be thinking more out of the box. Never mind turning into a poxy little boat but if his roofboxes could convert into a handy coffin for the mother in law, I'd buy one like a shot

chris46

Visit site
saw it last night ,was a very good concept ,not sure if it would retain a huge market and generate enough sales for an investor,but the chap should make money on it for himself.

U4

Visit site
I thought it looked like a good idea however in practical terms the boat was absolutely tiny!!! Ok for little children but that’s about it!