Double ended mainsheet advice please

jrt123

Visit site
Does anyone have any good solutions to the following? I'm currently fitting a new outboard well to an old Memory 19 ( 19 foot gaff rig) the boom projects over the stern and the existing mainsheet uses a horse to clear the tiller from the transom hung rudder. An outboard in a well sits higher and requires a taller rudder stock, with a curved tiller to finish at comfortable hand height. A horse to clear this would be high and ugly so is normally replaced with blocks on the aft decks. This can give 4:1 with 2 blocks on the boom but finishes by cleating at one side. This is not so good for the other tack where the sheet is not to hand in a gust and so I would like to fit a double ended mainsheet. The only way I can think of requires a double block on the aft deck in the centreline and the tiller is in the way again. Is there a way around this that I'm missing?

jrt123

Visit site
Thankyou for the link. Theirs is the usual setup, originating from a becket on one quarter block and ending with a cleat on one side. The only disadvantage is adjusting the sheet when sat on the other side with the boat heeled, but I suspect I will have to go with this single end set up.

Romeo

Visit site
Thankyou for the link. Theirs is the usual setup, originating from a becket on one quarter block and ending with a cleat on one side. The only disadvantage is adjusting the sheet when sat on the other side with the boat heeled, but I suspect I will have to go with this single end set up.

I am looking at the set up at exactly 2 min in the video.

One way to solve your problem I guess would be to simply sub your metal horse with a rope horse.

Double ended and even would be: cleat/ Starboard quarter / boom/ port quarter/ boom/ starboard quater/ boom/ port quarter/ cleat...... double blocks on both quarters, three sheeves in some arrangement on the boom. six part and perhaps a bit unwieldy.

Another single ended alternative would be to have a turning block on the boom, forward of the tiller, and start at the boom to go: boom/ port quarter/ boom/ starboard quater/ boom/ boom turning block/ hand.

Am I missing something? ( I have an an arrangement with a horse and a double ended line.... have thought about making it single ended, but have not bothered changing it because it is the way it has always been!)

Last edited:

jrt123

Visit site
Hi, thanks for the suggestions. Apologies for the delayed response, I saw your post initially and thought it was simply a link to the same clip.

Your idea with the double blocks was about what I'd come up with. I'd be concerned that the friction of 6:1 compared to 4:1 would be a problem and I'd have a cockpit full of rope when close (ish) hauled. I suppose decent blocks might allow it.

Apparently any sort of horse arrangement causes problems with the block jumping about and smashing the outboard cowl when not under load.

Maybe I should give in and go for single ended finishing at one quarter, but with a swivel cleat to allow play from opposite side of cockpit..