Douarnenez Festival?

winch2

Visit site
Just discovered a batch of superb videos on YT of this lovely looking event. Just wondering if anyone from the Uk has actually taken part, how does it work etc. If towing do you just rock up find a room somewhere then a slipway and join the fun? Most curious.

Poignard

Visit site
Just discovered a batch of superb videos on YT of this lovely looking event. Just wondering if anyone from the Uk has actually taken part, how does it work etc. If towing do you just rock up find a room somewhere then a slipway and join the fun? Most curious.
The Twister I sold to a charming French couple in May this year took part.

srm

Visit site
Many years ago I was interested. At that time it was a case of applying for an invitation with details of the boat. I got an invitation, but unfortunately, it was just too far from Orkney for me to do it in the time I had available.

DownWest

Visit site
Not far away, is the 'Semaine du Golfe' in the Morbihan. Every two years, next is coming April/May. Aimed at the yachties more than the public. Hoping to get there for it. Previous were 07 & 09, so bit of a gap.
Program is day trips between various ports over a week with shore side entertainment and munchies. Accomodation for Sail & Oar at campsites
The last day, Saturday, is the Grand Parade, everybody coming in the entrance in convoy, biggest down to small, on the fierce tide, 10 knts; Gets a bit exciting with spectature boats barging about...

Not done the the Douanerez one, much more up market. Not a critiscism, just for bigger boats.

Poignard

Visit site
Not far away, is the 'Semaine du Golfe' in the Morbihan. Every two years, next is coming April/May. Aimed at the yachties more than the public. Hoping to get there for it. Previous were 07 & 09, so bit of a gap.
Program is day trips between various ports over a week with shore side entertainment and munchies. Accomodation for Sail & Oar at campsites
The last day, Saturday, is the Grand Parade, everybody coming in the entrance in convoy, biggest down to small, on the fierce tide, 10 knts; Gets a bit exciting with spectature boats barging about...

Not done the the Douanerez one, much more up market. Not a critiscism, just for bigger boats.
And, if you have a classic boat (sail, power, oar or paddle powered) there is the week long Vilaine en Fête; held every other year. The next will be in 2026. Great fun, free berthing, communal meals and aperos, entertainments, etc).

We have done it 4 times. This year was our last as we sold our boat to a French couple. I put a For Sale sign on the pulpit and she sold before the end of the rally.

DownWest

Visit site
And, if you have a classic boat (sail, power, oar or paddle powered) there is the week long Vilaine en Fête; held every other year. The next will be in 2026. Great fun, free berthing, communal meals and aperos, entertainments, etc).

We have done it 4 times. This year was our last as we sold our boat to a French couple. I put a For Sale sign on the pulpit and she sold before the end of the rally.
The first SdG I arrived with a new little DIY Oughtred design, essentially launched it there for the first time. We all got a briefing in horizontal rain, the Bretons in pink shorts, while we were a bit more wrapped up.. The guy introduced the CRS, saying "They are not here to spoil your day..just to help out in case of problems" Generaly the CRS are riot control and not exactly popular... They manned several ribs to help out if problems occured.

I had a problem on the first day, Centerboard was sticking, so beached it and rolled her to clear it. Bunch of spectators watched. One asked if it was a French boat. Me, No, Scottish, but the knife I am using is French. Bit of chortling..
Can't reccommend the event enough.
Next year, my new little boat is habitable, so a bit different, but expecting much fun..

Black Diamond

Visit site
Been many times in several of our boats, absolutely wonderful, and a super antidote to the overheated pleasures of Brest Maritime which precedes Dz every fourth year since 1992, including this year.

This year was a little different, though, as the registration system was severely contracted in numbers terms, and many of us regulars did not make the cut for some reason, and ended up anchored further out in Rosmeur harbour and not included in the festival. The irony was that a large percentage of the UK boats who successfully registered didn't turn up, so it felt slightly smaller scale than its magnificent predecessors. I'm not whining, we still had a fantastic time, but as the fo'c's'l of a 30' planing 'dinghy' (as described by the Yacht Club Classique!) has become less appealing, we now have the luxury of shore-mounted porcelain in an apartment high over the Rosmeur harbour, right in front of the stage.

As this ground-breaking festival kicked off in 1986, and has run every two years since, bar 2020 for obvious reasons, I suspect the enormous effort to make it happen may be starting to take its toll on the long-serving volunteers, and with insurances and risk assessments now scaring the wits out of any would-be organiser, the festival's character may continue to change, but I salute anyone who continues to work within these radically changing constraints to deliver this marvellous spectacle.