Dorades and granny bars

richardr

Visit site
No, not a post about drink establishments for old ladies, its about ventiliation not inebriation.

I am looking to fit dorade boxes to replace the existing vents on my coachroof. Current vents can't be used while sailing (due to sheets pulling off the cowl) or when leaving the boat on the mooring (rain can come straight in depending on wind direction).

So dorade boxes look like the answer but the problem is that I can't find anywhere that sells the essential stainless steel guardrails / granny bars. Does anyone know where they can be had.

many thanks

Richard

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I think the simple answer is that you will have to get them made up to fit, it should be easy to bend say inch SS tube weld a flange with a piece of threaded bar welded on the underside and drill through the coachroof then using a large backing piece fasten with an appropriate nut behind the headlining or if exposed use domed nuts. For a design see if you can locate a Vancouver most 32 and 34 had them.

npf1

Visit site
Like this? A stainless fabricator is what you need. But note the design of mine - they are not removable which is can be a pain in the butt at times.

th_51332161_IMG_0025.jpg

William_H

Visit site
If your ventilators are small ie a few inches high and up to 10 inches long across you may be able to protect them with solid stainless steel rod about 5/16 inch diameter. The advantage is that it is easy to bend but while strong can be bent in service.
The rod is bent in an elongated U shape as needed. The ends can he relatively easily welded to flat plates ( use SS sticks in ordinary arc welder) or the ends can be threaded so a nut on the outside a washer then through the cabin top with nut and washer on the inside. All if you are handy with tools. olewill